One more transfinite induction problem

In summary: I had to struggle a bit for this one. But I think I got it.An alternate solution using Zorn's Lemma coming up...Let A be the collection of all subsets T of V such that for any linearly independent subset K of V containing vectors only from T, there exists a subset S of B so that K U S is a basis for V. A is nonempty since B is in A. Partially order A by set inclusion. Let C = {C_i} be a totally ordered subcollection of A, and let D= U(C_i). Clearly D is an upper bound of C since every element in C is a subset of D.
andytoh
Let B be a basis for a vector space V (with an uncountable dimension!) over a field F, and let K be a linearly independent subset of V. Prove that there exists a subset S of B such that K U S is a basis for V.

I had to struggle a bit for this one. But I think I got it.

Attachments

• My Solution.pdf
    13.5 KB · Views: 190
Physics news on Phys.org
An alternate solution using Zorn's Lemma coming up...

Let A be the collection of all subsets T of V such that for any linearly independent subset K of V containing vectors only from T, there exists a subset S of B so that
K U S is a basis for V. A is nonempty since B is in A. Partially order A by set inclusion. Let C = {C_i} be a totally ordered subcollection of A, and let D= U(C_i). Clearly D is an upper bound of C since every element in C is a subset of D.

Guys, I'm having trouble showing that D is in A. The problem is that any independent set containing elements only from D may be infinite, so the total orderedness of C is not helping. Can anyone pitch in here?

Last edited:
Your transfinite induction proof seems very complex; I haven't digested yet to see if I believe it. Here's a simpler method:

Intuitive algorithm:

Code:
Let S := { }.
For each element v of B:
   If v is not in the span of K U S, then let S := S U {v}

There are a couple ways to turn this into transfinite induction or recursion. I think the easiest way is to define

[tex]B(v) := \{ \, w \in B \mid w < v \, \}[/tex]

[tex]
S(v) := \{ \, w \in B(v) \mid w \notin \mathop{\mathrm{Span}} (K \cup B(v)) \, \}
[/tex]

[tex]S := \bigcup_{v \in B} S(v)[/tex]

or equivalently

[tex]S := \{ \, w \in B \mid w \notin \mathop{\mathrm{Span}} (K \cup B(v)) \, \}[/tex]

The proof that v is in the span of S(v) and that S(v) is linearly independent is straightforward.

For a more literal translation of the intuitive algorithm, define:

[tex]P(v) := \bigcup_{w < v} N(v) [/tex]

[tex]N(v) := \begin{cases}
P(v) & v \in \mathop{\mathrm{Span}}( K \cup P(v) ) \\
P(v) \cup \{ \, v \, \}
& v \notin \mathop{\mathrm{Span}}( K \cup P(v) ) \\
\end{cases}
[/tex]

(P for "previous value of S" and N for "next value of S")

[tex]S := \bigcup_{w < v} N(v)[/tex]

Or a version with transfinite recursion:

[tex]A(v) := (v \notin \mathop{\mathrm{Span}}(K \cup S(v)))[/tex]

[tex]S(v) := \{ \, w \in B \mid w < v \wedge A(w) \, \}[/tex]

[tex]S := \{ \, v \in B \mid A(v) \, \}[/tex]

(A for "Add this into S")

Last edited:
Ok, I'll try your way too. Thanks. I'm still stuck on the Zorn's Lemma approach though.

I tend to use the well-ordering principle for most of my axiom of choice needs -- the reason is because I can usually write down an iterative algorithm to produce the answer I want.

In general, I think that if you cannot write down some intuitively simple algorithm like I did, then a well-ordering style proof is going to be much more difficult than it needs to be.

I guess -- the trick is to use transfinite recursion or iteration to 'compute' an answer, and then use transfinite induction to prove that each intermediate stage has the correct properties, and then from there you prove that the answer has the correct properties.

andytoh said:
An alternate solution using Zorn's Lemma coming up...

Let A be the collection of all subsets T of V such that for any linearly independent subset K of V containing vectors only from T, there exists a subset S of B so that
K U S is a basis for V. A is nonempty since B is in A. Partially order A by set inclusion. Let C = {C_i} be a totally ordered subcollection of A, and let D= U(C_i). Clearly D is an upper bound of C since every element in C is a subset of D.

Guys, I'm having trouble showing that D is in A. The problem is that any independent set containing elements only from D may be infinite, so the total orderedness of C is not helping. Can anyone pitch in here?
Hrm. I'm having a little difficulty deciphering your intent here. Can you summarize your proof, skipping over all of the little details aside from the application of Zorn's lemma?

Ok:

K U S is a basis for V. A is nonempty since B is in A. Partially order A by set inclusion. Let C = {C_i} be a totally ordered subcollection of A, and let D= U(C_i). D is an upper bound of C in A (this is where I'm stuck). By Zorn's Lemma, A has a maximal element M.

If M not=V, take v from V-M. Then MU{v} is also in A (this point I've already proven, though it was long), contradicting the maximality of M in A. Thus M=V.

Last edited:
whats wrong with taking a maximal independent set of form K union S, as above?

perhaps you are doing this, but less briefly.

mathwonk said:
whats wrong with taking a maximal independent set of form K union S, as above?

Oh daymnn! That's so clever! This must be done for every independent set K, of course, but that's no extra work at all. I was restricting myself to just one partially ordered set A. I never thought of using a family of partially ordered sets A_K. Wow!

Last edited:
just take your one given independent set K, and consider all independent sets of form KunionS where S is a subset of the basis B. This collection is trivially inductive (take unions as always), hence has a maximal element.

obviously a maximl KunionS spans since otherwise some element of b is not spanned, which means adding it gives a larger independent set. QED.

1. What is transfinite induction?

Transfinite induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove statements about infinite sets. It is based on the principle that if a statement is true for all smaller elements of a set, then it must also be true for the entire set.

2. How does transfinite induction differ from regular mathematical induction?

Transfinite induction is an extension of regular mathematical induction, which is used to prove statements about finite sets. While regular induction uses the successor function to move from one element to the next, transfinite induction uses the concept of ordinal numbers to move from one element to the next in an infinite set.

3. What is the purpose of "One more transfinite induction problem"?

The purpose of "One more transfinite induction problem" is to provide a challenging problem for mathematicians to solve using transfinite induction. It is often used as an exercise to help mathematicians better understand and apply the principles of transfinite induction.

4. Are there any limitations to transfinite induction?

Transfinite induction can only be used to prove statements about well-ordered sets, which are sets with a defined first element and a successor function. It cannot be used for sets that are not well-ordered, such as the real numbers.

5. What are some real-world applications of transfinite induction?

Transfinite induction has applications in various areas of mathematics, including set theory, topology, and analysis. It is also used in computer science and theoretical physics to study infinite structures and processes. In addition, transfinite induction has been used to prove the existence of solutions to certain mathematical problems, such as the continuum hypothesis.