Valence Electron of CN: Discover the Atomic Structure of Cyanide

• Thread starter unhip_crayon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, the speaker is having trouble starting a new thread and needs help determining the number of valence electrons in CN. They suggest looking at the group numbers to find the answer.
unhip_crayon
Sry...but for some reason I can't start a new thread and i need a little help.

Is the valence electron of CN 9?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you referring to the total number of valence electrons? And is it CN or CN- that you want this for?

Show us what you tried. How did you get the number 9?

unhip_crayon said:
Sry...but for some reason I can't start a new thread and i need a little help.

Is the valence electron of CN 9?

Perhaps the easiest way to figure this out, is to look at both of that atom's group numbers. This will tell you the number for valence electrons. For a molecule, just add those numbers.

What is the valence electron of CN?

The valence electron of CN (cyanide ion) is 8.

How is the valence electron of CN calculated?

The valence electron of CN is calculated by taking the number of valence electrons of each individual atom (6 for carbon and 7 for nitrogen) and then adding or subtracting electrons based on the charge of the ion (-1 for cyanide ion).

Why is the valence electron of CN important?

The valence electron of CN is important because it determines the chemical behavior and reactivity of the ion. It also helps in predicting the type of bonding that CN can undergo with other atoms.

Does the valence electron of CN change in different environments?

No, the valence electron of CN remains constant in different environments as it is determined by the number of valence electrons of the individual atoms in the ion.

How does the valence electron of CN affect its stability?

The valence electron of CN does not significantly affect its stability as the ion has a full octet of valence electrons, making it a stable configuration. However, the number of valence electrons can affect the ion's reactivity and ability to form bonds with other atoms.