Damped Pendulum, finding Q factor

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a damped pendulum with a period of 5 seconds and an amplitude that decreases to one half its original value in 100 seconds. The question is asking for the Q value, and the conversation suggests using the equation Q = w*(Energy)/(Power Loss) to solve it. The conversation also mentions finding a relationship between energy and amplitude, and relating power loss to the amplitude loss per unit time.
m0nk3y

Homework Statement

A pendulum has a period of 5seconds. It is damped so that the amplitude falls to one half its original value in 100seconds. What is the Q?

I am having trouble relating the Q with the information I have.

Period = 5 seconds
There are 5 periods
ω = 2π/5

Please help!

Thanks XD

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried getting the total Energy E= T+V but then I have no idea what to do with that to get the Q.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Q = w*(Energy)/(Power Loss)

I'd stay away from calculating the total energy. Instead, think about how you can relate your givens (amplitude and amplitude loss) to energy and power loss. Does this help?

Thanks for your reply.

I have seen that equation before, but I don't know what is my power loss. Since the amplitude is decreasing, I know that the amount it is decreasing by in respect to time should be somehow related to the power lost but I still don't know howto do that.

In this case, think of power loss as energy loss per unit time. Focus on finding the relationship between energy and amplitude(it's a simple proportion and is probably in your book). Once you find that relation, you can relate the power loss to the amplitude loss per unit time, which is given.

What is a damped pendulum?

A damped pendulum is a type of pendulum where the oscillations gradually decrease in amplitude over time due to the presence of a damping force.

What is the Q factor of a damped pendulum?

The Q factor of a damped pendulum is a measure of its quality, which is determined by the ratio of the peak energy stored in the pendulum to the energy dissipated per cycle. It is used to characterize the damping properties of the pendulum.

How is the Q factor of a damped pendulum calculated?

The Q factor of a damped pendulum can be calculated by dividing the maximum potential energy of the pendulum by the energy dissipated per cycle. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by dividing the resonant frequency of the pendulum by the bandwidth of the oscillations.

What factors affect the Q factor of a damped pendulum?

The Q factor of a damped pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the amplitude of the oscillations, the mass of the pendulum, and the strength of the damping force. In general, a higher Q factor indicates a lower amount of damping and a longer oscillation period.

Why is the Q factor important in a damped pendulum?

The Q factor is important in a damped pendulum because it provides information about the damping properties of the pendulum. It can also be used to determine the accuracy and precision of the pendulum as a timekeeping device, as well as its ability to maintain a constant period of oscillation.