Solving E&M Problem on Infinitely Long Cylinder

• Thread starter ayoshi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E&m
In summary, to find the electric field everywhere in an infinitely long conducting cylinder with a dielectric coating, we need to solve for the potential V(r, phi, z) using the given boundary conditions and incorporating the dielectric coating. Then, we can use the relationship between D and E to solve for the electric field E(r, phi, z) everywhere. The dielectric coating will affect the electric field and potential by changing the permittivity in the region between the inner and outer radii of the cylinder. However, the external E-field will not have a significant effect due to the cylinder being grounded.
ayoshi

Homework Statement

infinitely long conducting cylinder (hollow, so outter radius = b and inner radius = a) which is grounded is in a constant E-field (E=Eo in direction of cylinders' axis) has a dielectric substand "painted" on it, with dielectric constant c and thickness D. Find the electric field everywhere!

Homework Equations

Well, for dielectrics the usual BC's are:
E[parallel](inside) = E[parallel](outside)
D[perpendicular](inside) - D[perpendicular](outside) = sigma <-- charge density

Also, the general solution for potential in cylindrical coords is:
V = Ao + Bo*ln(r) + [tex]\sum(An*r^n +Bn*r^(^-^n^))*(Cn*cos(n*phi)+Dn*sin(n*phi)[/tex]

BC for infinite cylinder:
dV/dz = 0
V = -Eo*r*cos(phi) + constant, as r-->infinity (due to constant E-field.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having some serious trouble with this problem. One thing I do know, however, is that all of the Dn*sin(n*phi) terms contribute nothing by symmetry and so we can kiss the Dn's goodbye. I think the BC's I stated above are correct, but I'm having problems using them. Other questions I have are: i) how does the dielectric effect V, and, ii)despite being grounded, wouldn't the external field effect the cylinder hence making it act like a dipole?

Finally, can we assume the E-field inside is zero since it is a conductor? Or does the dielectric and external E-field change this? The E-field in the region a<r<b should be zero too, shouldn't it?

Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your post. I can see that you have a good understanding of the problem and the relevant equations. However, I would like to clarify a few points and provide some guidance on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, you are correct in assuming that the Dn*sin(n*phi) terms contribute nothing by symmetry and can be ignored. This is because the dielectric coating is axisymmetric and does not have any angular dependence.

Next, let's address your questions. The dielectric coating will affect V by changing the permittivity (epsilon) in the region between the inner and outer radii of the cylinder. This will change the electric field inside the cylinder, as well as the potential. As for your second question, the external E-field will certainly have an effect on the cylinder and may cause it to act like a dipole. However, since the cylinder is grounded, any induced charges on the surface will be neutralized and will not affect the overall electric field.

Now, to solve for the electric field everywhere, we can use the boundary conditions you have stated. However, we need to take into account the fact that the dielectric coating will also affect the electric field inside the cylinder. This can be accounted for by using the relationship between D and E in dielectrics: D = epsilon*E. We can also use the fact that the electric field is conservative, which means that the potential V can be written as the negative gradient of V. This will allow us to use the general solution for potential in cylindrical coordinates that you have provided.

Overall, to solve for the electric field everywhere, we need to solve for the potential V(r, phi, z) using the boundary conditions and incorporating the dielectric coating. Then, we can use the relationship between D and E to solve for the electric field E(r, phi, z) everywhere.

I hope this helps and provides some guidance for solving this problem. Good luck!

1. How do I begin solving an E&M problem on an infinitely long cylinder?

To solve an E&M problem on an infinitely long cylinder, you can start by drawing a diagram of the problem and labeling all given values and variables. Then, apply the relevant equations from Maxwell's equations to the problem.

2. What are the boundary conditions for an infinitely long cylinder?

The boundary conditions for an infinitely long cylinder are that the electric field and magnetic field are tangential to the surface of the cylinder and the electric potential is constant along the surface of the cylinder.

3. How do I calculate the electric field inside and outside an infinitely long cylinder?

To calculate the electric field inside the cylinder, you can use the equation E = λ/2πεr, where λ is the charge density, r is the distance from the center of the cylinder, and ε is the permittivity of the medium. To calculate the electric field outside the cylinder, you can use the equation E = λ/2πεr2.

4. How do I determine the magnetic field inside and outside an infinitely long cylinder?

To determine the magnetic field inside and outside the cylinder, you can use the equation B = μI/2πr, where μ is the permeability of the medium and I is the current flowing through the cylinder.

5. Can I use symmetry to simplify solving an E&M problem on an infinitely long cylinder?

Yes, the infinite length of the cylinder and the circular symmetry of the problem allow you to use symmetry to simplify your calculations. This means that you can assume the fields are uniform along the length of the cylinder and use symmetry arguments to determine the direction and magnitude of the fields at different points on the cylinder.