Matrix Mechanics Homework: Calculate [p,x] = i h-bar

In summary, the problem is that when Malawi calculates the matrix elements of p and x, he gets 0. He needs to find the commutator of p and x, and then use that commutator to calculate [p,x] = i h-bar.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

My book says that we can express

[tex] p_{nm} = -i \sqrt{M \omega \hbar} \left( \delta_{n,m-1}\sqrt{m} - \delta_{n,m+1} \sqrt{m+1}\right)[/tex]

and

[tex] x_{nm} = \sqrt{\hbar/2M\omega} \left( \delta_{n,m-1} \sqrt{m} +\delta_{n,m+1}\sqrt{m+1}\right)[/tex]

for the simple harmonic oscillator potential.

I want to calculate [p,x] = i h-bar.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I am saying is that when I calculate

[tex] \sum_{k}x_{nk}p_{km} - \sum_{k}p_{nk}x_{km} [/tex]

I get 0. Can someone check that? If I need to I can post more work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:
[tex] p_{nm} = -i \sqrt{M \omega \hbar} \left( \delta_{n,m-1}\sqrt{m} - \delta_{n,m+1} \sqrt{m+1}\right)[/tex]

and

[tex] x_{nm} = \sqrt{\hbar/2M\omega} \left( \delta_{n,m-1} \sqrt{m} +\delta_{n,m+1}\sqrt{m+1}\right)[/tex]

Shouldn't there be some creation and annihilation operators in here? Usually they're written as "a" with or without a little dagger.

No, I think you are thinking of something else. x_nm is defined as <x_n|x|x_m> for example. |x_n> is nth eigenstate of the SHO Hamiltonian.

Ah, right. I remember them now.

These are not the x and p operators, they are expectation values. [p,x] = i h-bar is for the operators. The expectation values are just numbers, and the commutator of two numbers is always zero.

I am saying that [tex] \sum_{k}x_{nk}p_{km} - \sum_{k}p_{nk}x_{km} [/tex] is equal to 0 for each n and each m. So the entire matrix is equal to zero.

The problem in my book says, "show that [x,p] = ihbar holds as a matrix equation."

What do you get for
[tex] \sum_{k}x_{nk}p_{km}[/tex]?

[tex] (1/2)i\hbar\delta_{n,m} [/tex]

and I get the same for the

[tex] \sum_{k}p_{nk}x_{km} [/tex]

All would be well if I got [tex] \sum_{k}p_{nk}x_{km} [/tex] equal to minus that, but I checked my algebra several times and I just don't know what is going on.

[p,x] = i h-bar

Just insert what p and x are in the linear combination of annihilation and creation operators, and use their commuting algeras.

OK, I'm over my denseness now. You're calculating [tex]<x_n|[p,x]|x_m>[/tex], right?

So, for [tex] \sum_{k}p_{nk}x_{km}[/tex] you should get that the [tex]\delta_{n,m}[/tex] terms actually cancel and the remaining terms have [tex]\delta_{n+2,m}[/tex] and [tex]\delta_{n-2,m}[/tex], and that for [tex] \sum_{k}x_{nk}p_{km}[/tex] you get those same terms, minus the final (correct) answer, proportional to [tex]\delta_{n,m}[/tex] of course. Can you show some work?

Last edited:
ehrenfest : can you please tell us exacly what you want to calculate?

malawi_glenn said:
ehrenfest : can you please tell us exacly what you want to calculate?

Malawi, I think it's pretty clear what he is calculating. He has the matrix elements of p and x and wants to calculate the commutator using the matrix representation of those oeprators.

Ok, 2Tesla also asked. If this is a exercise in dealing with the matrix representation, or if he just wants [p,x]

Using the template is good. Saying exactly what the problem are. Now one can inteprent his problem to be:

I want to calculate [p,x] = i h-bar for the simple harmonic oscillator potential.

2Tesla said:
OK, I'm over my denseness now. You're calculating [tex]<x_n|[p,x]|x_m>[/tex], right?

So, for [tex] \sum_{k}p_{nk}x_{km}[/tex] you should get that the [tex]\delta_{n,m}[/tex] terms actually cancel and the remaining terms have [tex]\delta_{n+2,m}[/tex] and [tex]\delta_{n-2,m}[/tex], and that for [tex] \sum_{k}x_{nk}p_{km}[/tex] you get those same terms, minus the final (correct) answer, proportional to [tex]\delta_{n,m}[/tex] of course. Can you show some work?

I see where I messed up. I just totally botched the replacement of n and m's with k's using the Kronecker deltas. Thanks.

What is the purpose of calculating [p,x] in matrix mechanics?

The calculation of [p,x] in matrix mechanics is used to determine the commutation relationship between the momentum operator (p) and the position operator (x). This relationship is important in understanding the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.

What does the value of [p,x] signify?

The value of [p,x] represents the degree of non-commutativity between the momentum and position operators. A non-zero value indicates that these operators do not commute, meaning that measuring one of them will affect the measurement of the other.

What is the significance of the "i h-bar" in the calculation?

The "i h-bar" term in the calculation is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics, representing the uncertainty in the measurement of a particle's position and momentum. It is also known as the reduced Planck's constant and has a value of approximately 1.054571817 × 10^-34 joule seconds.

How is the calculation of [p,x] performed in matrix mechanics?

In matrix mechanics, [p,x] is calculated by taking the commutator of the momentum operator (p) and the position operator (x). This involves multiplying p by x and subtracting x multiplied by p, and then simplifying the resulting equation.

What are some real-world applications of [p,x] in matrix mechanics?

[p,x] has many applications in quantum mechanics, including in the study of atomic and molecular structures, electromagnetic interactions, and the behavior of subatomic particles. It is also used in the development of technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.