Anne Mahlum's Homeless Running Club: Inspiring Change

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Running
In summary, Anne Mahlum is a 27-year-old marathoner who frequently passed a group of homeless men on her predawn runs in Philadelphia. They would cheer for her but one day she realized she was not doing anything to help them. She then founded the organization Back on My Feet, which offers the homeless a chance to accomplish something without interference from society. Mahlum lives by the motto "be the change you want to see in the world" and her organization promotes self-improvement and empowerment for the homeless. The group runs early in the morning and often sings military cadence to draw attention and show that they do not want to be ignored. This story serves as an inspiration for the homeless and for those who want to
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anne Mahlum is a 27-year-old marathoner. And on her predawn runs in Philadelphia, she kept passing a group of homeless men.

"They would say, 'Hi' or they would say 'Hi Anne' or 'There's the crazy runner.' 'How many miles are you doing?'" Mahlum recalled. "And they would smile and sort of applaud and cheer for me, while I would start my day."

But one day in May, Mahlum said, "I looked back, and I was like, 'I am cheating these guys. Why am I just running past them and leaving them there?'" [continued]

You can watch the video at the top right corner of the screen.
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/PersonOfWeek/story?id=4003180&page=1

Here is the website
http://backonmyfeet.org/main/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good find, thanks for the story!

Anne Mahlum is quite an accomplished person!
http://backonmyfeet.org/main/areas/about.us/staff/anne.mahlum.html

Some words she lives by:

"You have to be the change you want to see in the world."

"While we cannot control everything that happens to us in life, we can control how we respond."

"Watch your thoughts for they become your words, choose your words for they become your actions, understand your actions for they become your habits, study your habits for they become your character, develop your character for it becomes your destiny."

Last edited by a moderator:
This story made me grin ear to ear.

I'm not surprised that she received so positive a response from the homeless people in her area. She's not offering any handouts or judgements that only serve their current condition. She offers them a chance to accomplish something without any interference from society. For many homeless that is a powerful incentive.

I noted in the video that they were singing military cadence very loudly as they ran at 5AM. They must have known that this could disturb some people in the areas that they are running, but they do it anyway. It suggests to me that they do not want to be ignored. They want consideration from good-hearted people, which is far better than any handout. The singing also serves as an irritant to those that would choose to ignore them.

What is "Anne Mahlum's Homeless Running Club: Inspiring Change"?

"Anne Mahlum's Homeless Running Club: Inspiring Change" is a program created by Anne Mahlum that uses running as a tool to inspire and empower individuals experiencing homelessness to make positive changes in their lives. It combines running with community support and resources to help individuals improve their physical and mental well-being and work towards finding stable housing and employment.

How did "Anne Mahlum's Homeless Running Club: Inspiring Change" start?

The Homeless Running Club was started in 2007 by Anne Mahlum, a runner and social entrepreneur. She was inspired to start the program after noticing a group of individuals experiencing homelessness running near her apartment every morning. She wanted to create a safe and supportive space for them to continue their passion for running while also providing resources and opportunities for personal growth and change.

How does "Anne Mahlum's Homeless Running Club: Inspiring Change" benefit individuals experiencing homelessness?

The program offers a variety of benefits to individuals experiencing homelessness, including physical and mental health improvements, a sense of community and belonging, and access to resources for housing, employment, and education. It also promotes self-esteem and confidence, and helps individuals set and achieve personal goals.

How can I get involved with "Anne Mahlum's Homeless Running Club: Inspiring Change"?

There are several ways to get involved with the Homeless Running Club, including joining a running group, volunteering, or donating. You can find more information and ways to get involved on their website or social media pages.

Has "Anne Mahlum's Homeless Running Club: Inspiring Change" been successful?

Yes, the program has been very successful in helping individuals experiencing homelessness make positive changes in their lives. Many participants have found stable housing and employment, improved their physical and mental health, and gained a sense of community and support. The program has also expanded to multiple cities across the United States, reaching a larger number of individuals in need.