Cohen-Tannoudji or Shankar's textbooks in QM?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm Textbooks
In summary, the two books reviewed are QM by Tannoudji and Principles of QM by Shankar. The pros and cons for choosing either book are as follows:-QM by Tannoudji has more exercise and also interesting problems.-Principles of QM by Shankar covers the QM undergraduate course more thoroughly.The better reference book is QM by Tannoudji, but both books have their benefits. If you are looking for self-study exercises, Schaum's Outline would be a good option.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
So what are the pros and cons for choosing either QM by tannoudji or principles of QM by shankar?
which one has more exercise and also interesting problems and which covers the QM undergraduate course more thoroughly?
Which is better as a reference? and other enquiries that i will have as i see the replies coming in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I gave a glance at amazon reviews, it seems that tannoudji's is more comprehensive than shankar, but still if there are people here who tried shankar and/or tannoudji's books, could you address my questions in the opening post?

thanks in advance.

I would have to ask your teacher what he thinks is best. Maybe the excersises in your course will be made by your teacher etc. But as I said, I would go for Shankar.

maybe you want to check out a "problem and solutions" book for exersices if you want to do self studies. Also google for answers and solutions made by teachers for the most common textbooks if you want, because they are seldom included in textbooks. (The library is also good)

And I also think that this is a good intro-book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471489441/?tag=pfamazon01-20
it contains all you need, the introduction to the needs of QM, QM-formalism in dirac notation, shrödinger eq, one dimensional problems: boxes and harmonic oscillator, angular momenta, 3dim problems, perturbation and scattering. + solved problems and lots of excersices

Last edited by a moderator:
Also a very good introductory book is:
"Griffiths D.J., Introduction to quantum mechanics"

Well I think I would stick with my two options, but thanks for the other books' recommedations.
As a matter of fact from one of the websites of the course griffiths' book is the main text and the two I've mentioned are the more comprehensive texts.
for exercises there's also schaum's outline which from reviews i read is good for exercises, so this would be my option for loan from the library.
Now another question of mine, is tannoudji's 2006 2 volume set, has new entries in the volumes, or it's just errors corrections?

thanks in advance.

1. What is the main difference between Cohen-Tannoudji and Shankar's textbooks in QM?

The main difference between these two textbooks is the level of mathematical rigor. Cohen-Tannoudji's textbook is more mathematically rigorous and is often used for graduate level courses, while Shankar's textbook is more accessible and suitable for undergraduate courses.

2. Which textbook is recommended for beginners in quantum mechanics?

Shankar's textbook is recommended for beginners in quantum mechanics as it provides a more intuitive and conceptual understanding of the subject. It also has more examples and exercises for practice.

3. Are there any major differences in the topics covered in these two textbooks?

Both textbooks cover the fundamental topics in quantum mechanics such as wave mechanics, operators, and the Schrödinger equation. However, Cohen-Tannoudji's textbook also includes more advanced topics such as scattering theory and relativistic quantum mechanics.

4. Which textbook is more suitable for self-study?

For self-study, it is recommended to use Shankar's textbook as it provides a more reader-friendly approach with clear explanations and examples. Cohen-Tannoudji's textbook may be more challenging for self-study due to its level of mathematical rigor.

5. Is it necessary to use both textbooks for a thorough understanding of quantum mechanics?

No, it is not necessary to use both textbooks. Both textbooks cover the fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics, so it is recommended to choose one based on your level of mathematical background and your learning style.