Protons, Electrons & Nuclear Forces: Explained

In summary: In reality, what we are seeing here is that the electron is sort of "hanging out" at an energy level that is lower than the lowest allowed state. However, because it is not in the lowest allowed state, it is attracted to the nucleus and will stay there. In summary, this is why the electron does not crash into the nucleus.
cowboy_mortician
If opposites attract, why don't electrons crash into the nucleus. I've been told its because the electon is spinning so fast, it orbits, but I know this can't be so because then at absolute zero, the electron should then crash inward or even at a higher temperature. Or is it the "weak nuclear" forces? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup. It's the strong force i believe that holds atoms together. Either that or the weak force. But it's one of the two, because the electromagnetic forces are huge and must be fought by something!

Actually, this is more of a quantum effect. See The Bohr Model

There are many explanations as to why the electron does not fall into the nucleus, the one you mentioned being a classical explanation. The quantum explanation is to do with the wave nature of the electron and that is that it can't get closer to the nucleus because it occupies the lowest energy level that corresponds to how many wavelengths will fit around the atomic nucleus. I find this the easiest way to picture why an electron will not go beyond a certain level (except of course with extreme outside forces).

ok, so is it nuclear forces, quantum effect, or wavelegnth properties, or electron spin? Is there a definite answer? :confused:

The only that makes sense to me is the energy of the wavelength.

If it loses any energy, for some reason, there is a good possibility that it will hit the nucleus or proton.

If it gains energy, like getting hit by Gamma or X-Rays, it will gain energy and escape the atom.

I would say wavelength's is the definite answer.

cowboy_mortician asked: "ok, so is it nuclear forces, quantum effect, or wavelegnth properties, or electron spin? Is there a definite answer?"

"Quantum effect" and "wavelength properties" are both references to the uncertainty principle, the underlying law of nature that explains the electron's stability at a non-zero distance from the nucleus.

Nuclear forces and electron spin have nothing to do with it.

cowboy_mortician said:
If opposites attract, why don't electrons crash into the nucleus. I've been told its because the electon is spinning so fast, it orbits, but I know this can't be so because then at absolute zero, the electron should then crash inward or even at a higher temperature. Or is it the "weak nuclear" forces? Please help!

As you have seen via all the responses to your question, this isn't a trivial thing to answer, at least it isn't trivial to answer if you want a simple picture or analogy. One can try explaining it by saying that an electron is a "wave" and that the smallest standing-wave configuration is the fundamental wavelength, very much like the Bohr-Sommerfeld quantization model. But this would be inaccurate also.

The second problem on why this is difficult to answer is because we have this picture of a well-defined "electron" zipping around in an atom, very much like a planetary model, etc. That perception in itself can be the root of the difficulty in trying to explain and answer this problem. When you ask why doesn't the electron "crash" or get arbitrary close to the nucleus, I could easily reply "But it does, but not in the way you think!" [I will explain this later]

H atom is one of the MOST well-known system in physics. In QM, it is one of the few exactly-solvable system (He atom is the other - the rest of the elements have not been solved exactly). When we ask how the H atom behaves, especially in terms of the dynamics of the electron within this atom, we have to first of all solve the Hamiltonian or the Schrodinger equation of the system. For most physics majors, this can be a painful exercise, because it is almost a requirement that one MUST know how to do this. When you solve this, you will find that the LOWEST possible state satisfying the Schrodinger equation with the appropriate H atom boundary conditions contains three quantum numbers n,l,m with values n=1, l=m=0. This state corresponds to the LOWEST energy possible given the H-atom configuration. There's nothing lower.

Now this derivation sort of answers your question on "why", i.e. it is because it is the lowest state possible with the given configuration and so, there's no other places for the electron occupy to get any closer. But unfortunately, it doesn't completely answers why. It merely says that based on QM, I can give you a description of the H atom that accurately match ALL of the experimental observations. QM doesn't allow us to go beyond that because such info are not imbedded within the QM description (or is this just a objectivist or solipsist view?).

However, the interesting thing here is that, knowing the solution for the lowest state, where is the electron? This would explain what I said earlier that the electron in the H atom does actually get very close to the nucleus, but not in ways you think. The "radial solution" of the H-atom, i.e. the part that describe the electron's position from the center of the atom, has a very interesting profile for the lowest state. The expectation value for |nlm>=|100> of the radial function actualy PEAKS at the origin,i.e. where the nucleus is. So the radial wavefunction seems to indicate that the highest probability of finding the electron is actually right at the nucleus! [Note: rR_nl is zero here].

The major caveat here that one needs to keep in mind is that this is based on a strictly non-classical view of what an electron is. The wavefuction does not describe a "well-defined" particle known as an electron, but rather it is describing the PROPERTIES of the electron that seem to be "smeared" in the space of the atom. It only based on this that we can accurately explain all the phonomena associated with the H atom.

If you wish to see the painful detail of such a derivation, you're welcome to look at the link below:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/HydrogenAtom.html

It will give you an idea why I mentioned in the beginning that answering such a question isn't as trivial as it appears.

Zz.

At the terrible risk of confusing cowboy_mortician, there is an example of an orbital electron 'crashing into' the nucleus - electron capture, a mode of radioactive decay in which a proton 'captures' an orbital electron (usually in the K shell) to become a neutron (and emits an anti-neutrino).

In terms of the excellent description Zapper Z provided, can you see how this 'capture' might happen? (It's surely a nonsense in the 'solar system' view of an atom :wink: )

1. What is the difference between protons and electrons?

Protons are positively charged particles found in the nucleus of an atom, while electrons are negatively charged particles that orbit the nucleus. Protons are much larger and heavier than electrons and play a key role in determining the atomic number and chemical properties of an element.

2. How do protons and electrons interact with each other?

Protons and electrons are attracted to each other due to their opposite charges. This electrostatic force keeps the electrons in orbit around the nucleus, creating a stable atom. Protons also interact with each other through the strong nuclear force, which binds the nucleus together despite the repulsive forces between positively charged protons.

3. What is the role of nuclear forces in an atom?

Nuclear forces refer to the strong and weak forces that hold the nucleus of an atom together. The strong nuclear force is responsible for binding protons and neutrons together, while the weak nuclear force plays a role in certain types of radioactive decay. Without these forces, an atom would not be able to exist in its current form.

4. How does the number of protons and electrons affect the charge of an atom?

The number of protons in an atom determines its atomic number, which also determines its overall positive charge. The number of electrons in an atom is usually equal to the number of protons, resulting in a neutral charge. However, the loss or gain of electrons can create ions with a positive or negative charge.

5. Can protons and electrons be created or destroyed?

The law of conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. This means that protons and electrons cannot be created or destroyed, but they can be converted into different forms of energy through nuclear reactions. In certain high-energy environments, such as in particle accelerators, protons and electrons can also be created through nuclear fusion or fission reactions.