Mastering Optical Depth: Simplifying the Concept for Beginners

In summary, the conversation involved a request for help understanding optical depth and its uses in astronomy. The person struggled with understanding it due to their English not being strong, but was provided with resources to learn more about it. Optical depth was explained as a measure of how opaque a given path is to radiation and is proportional to the number of light-absorbing particles along a line of sight. It is a useful quantity in astronomy for determining the amount of gases present in a given medium.
O-r-i-o-n
Hi Everyone!
I was wondering if someone could help me with Optical Depth, I read some articles about it but since my English isn't that good I couldn't Get it well! I have some views about the Opacity But when it comes to optical depth I'll get lost :D
help!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This contains everything you need basically;)

"RADIATIVE TRANSFER
IN
STELLAR ATMOSPHERES"

http://www.astro.uu.nl/~rutten/rrweb/rjr-material/masters/rtsa/afy.pdf

It is better with precisie questions, how are we supposed to help you if we don't know what you are struggeling with? And if your english is not that good, improve it, "everything" is written in english.

275 pages? what would you have sent me if I had said my English is good? :D
Thanks man but I needed sth simpler , sthh in high school level (or a little higher)

Already read that one , but thanks! I got somethings from that!

I don't have a specific question about Optical Depth , I just want to know what it is and what are it's uses and why astronomers use it. and about the 275 pages , really? because the number freaked me out so I didn't go to the details :D , thanks I'll check it out

its not only about optical depth, it is about radiative transfer. Why didnt you read the table of contents? First part of chapter 2 introduces optical depth etc.

It's basically just a measure of how opaque a given path is to radiation. Optical depth is proportional to the number of (light-absorbing) particles along a given line of sight, so it's a very useful quantity in astronomy when it comes to working out the amounts of atoms or molecules in different gases you're looking through.

The optical depth related to the probability of escape of a photon traveling trough a medium. The probability for a photon to escape is e^(-tau), where tau is the optical depth (and is a function of wavelength or frequency).

Thank you all! Got what I needed!

What is optical depth and why is it important in science?

Optical depth is a measure of the amount of light that is absorbed or scattered as it passes through a material. It is important in science because it helps us understand how light interacts with different substances, such as gases and particles, and can be used to study the composition and properties of these materials.

How is optical depth calculated?

Optical depth is calculated by taking the natural logarithm of the ratio of the incident light intensity to the transmitted light intensity. This value can range from 0 (no absorption or scattering) to infinity (complete absorption or scattering).

What factors affect the optical depth of a material?

The optical depth of a material can be affected by its thickness, density, composition, and the wavelength of the incident light. These factors determine how much light is absorbed or scattered as it passes through the material.

What are some applications of optical depth in scientific research?

Optical depth can be used in a variety of scientific fields, such as astronomy, atmospheric science, and materials science. It is commonly used to study the composition and properties of gases and particles in the atmosphere, as well as the structure and properties of materials.

How can optical depth be measured in an experiment?

There are several methods for measuring optical depth in an experiment, including using spectrometers, photometers, and laser-based techniques. These methods involve measuring the intensity of light before and after it passes through a material, and using this data to calculate the optical depth.