LaTex: figures positioning & sizing

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with enlarging figures in their PhD thesis. They have found a solution using the \includegraphics command, but are struggling with figure placement and ensuring that pages with only figures are not counted by PhD rules. The speaker is also experiencing difficulty due to the cold working conditions. They express gratitude for the helpful manual provided by robphy.
wombatjoe
Dear everyone,
would you be so kind to help me with the small problem, which you might find funny as well (or it's usual, banal?..).. the thing is that i currently work on my PhD, and want to increase the number of pages in easy way, you know.. in other words i try to enlarge the figures! o:)
ok, i increase figure size, writing \includegraphics[height=14cm]{1.ps} blah-blah.. works well.. but at some limiting height the figure "jumps" to the end of the section and the bad thing is that there were free space on initial page, where figure could be much larger.. a fragile moment is that i want larger figures, but only until some 1-2 lines from the text are still on the page, as pages with only figures are not counted by PhD rules :shy::smile:
Sorry for disturbing, anyone! But it's just so cold winter here, the room i work in is freezing me, fingers move so slow... ok, I'm just lazy and didn't find the solution in my books..:rolleyes:

Have a nice day! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, guess, I've chosen the right forum to ask! Just didn't expect.. =)
robphy, many thanks for you help!:smile:
I've used the placement parameters, but in your "e.g." manual I found a useful line I haven't met before:
"! Override internal parameters Latex uses for determining `good' float positions."
I've suspected that problem is in large "PhD-style" file, which is drifting from generation to generation here :) maybe it was, maybe not, but now I continue my "dirty" job =)

1. How do I position a figure in LaTeX?

Figures can be positioned using the \begin{figure}[placement] command, where [placement] can be h (here), t (top), b (bottom), p (page), or ! (override default placement). You can also use \begin{figure*} to span both columns for a two-column document.

2. How do I resize a figure in LaTeX?

To resize a figure, you can use the \includegraphics[width=desired width]{image file} command. This will scale the image to the specified width. You can also use \includegraphics[height=desired height]{image file} to specify the height instead.

3. Can I position a figure precisely in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use the \begin{picture}(width, height) and \put(x, y) commands to position a figure at a specific location on the page. This allows for precise placement, but may require some trial and error to get the exact positioning you want.

4. How can I add a caption to a figure in LaTeX?

To add a caption to a figure, use the \caption{caption text} command within the figure environment. This will automatically number the figure and add the caption below the image. You can also use the \label{fig:figure label} command to reference the figure in your text.

5. Can I rotate a figure in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use the \includegraphics[angle=desired angle]{image file} command to rotate a figure in LaTeX. The angle is measured in degrees counterclockwise from the x-axis. You can also use the \rotatebox{desired angle}{figure} command to rotate the entire figure, including the caption and label.