Which field of engineering should I choose?

In summary, I am a student at the Toledo Technology Academy and I am interested in engineering, specifically mechanical and manufacturing. I am considering Kettering University as an option, but I am unsure about my math and science abilities. I was accepted to Kettering University, but my team's machine malfunctioned at a competition. Despite that, we still came in second. I think Kettering University is a good option for me, but I need to talk to an engineer to figure out which field of engineering I should pursue.
SuperCujo
I am a student at the Toledo Technology Academy in Toledo, Ohio (USA). At my high school they specialize in teaching engineering, specifically mechanical and manufacturing mostly. I am trying to figure out what field of engineering I should go into but I can't decide.

My school basically breaks our class into a smart and dumb class for math and Science. I am in the smart class but I have to admit I am in the middle to lower range of the class. Physics I am getting slowly and Pre-calculus seems to be making my head want to explode (Trigonometric Identities I don't think I will ever understand you). I have recently been very doubtful of my abilities to understand the science and math needed to become an engineer. Despite my doubts I have been accepted into Kettering University (also know as GMI) and it is one of the best engineering schools in the country (3# in mechanical and 1# in industrial engineering for undergraduate schools in the nation).

So my questions is how were all of you in math and science during high school? Also I still need to figure out what major I want, I have it down to 3 different options 1.) Mechanical Engineering, I am not the most mechanically inclined and working on mills and lathes in an industrial plant is exactly for me, although this is what I have been learning for the past few years and have some experience in it. 2.) getting duel degree in electrical engineering and computer engineering, I love to play around with computer hardware yet I am not the biggest fan of software, and I hear that electrical engineering is heavily math based. Also I often hear that computer engineers seem to lose their value over years as employers are afraid that they are not up to date with the newest technology. 3.) Industrial engineering, improving the efficiency of systems does sound interesting and I hear that industrial engineering is less involved in math but I have to admit that I don't fully understand what is all involved in this field.

I'm sorry about the long Post but I have really bean doing some stressing over these subjects and although I know none of you can say which one is the best for me, I think some help from insiders in the engineering industry can be very helpful.

Likes thulani
Physics news on Phys.org
College Tech Prep. Competition

Today my team went to a College tech. prep competition and we took 2nd place out of over 15 different schools in the Industrial engineering division. Normally I wouldn't be happy with 2nd but half of our machine malfunctioned after we traveled to the competition. Our machine was a spring combiner for Chrysler motor Corp..

One of our mentors who work at the local assembly plant was complaining about a machine they had that was always breaking down and we offered to come up with some designs for him. The machine was made to take 2 different diameter springs and insert the smaller spring into the larger spring and then transport the combined springs to a robotic arm that would then insert them into a dampener plate. Well when we got to the competition our feeding system for our springs malfunctioned (this part isn't going to be used by the plant anyways, our design is going to be retro-fitted into the system they currently have) and we had to demonstrate our machine by hand.

Despite that we still came in 2nd place. I asked what was the deciding factor and I was told that the other team had a written down cost efficiency sheet and we didn't. Our cost savings that we told the judges was actually higher then the other team but in the end it wasn't written down.

EE has a ton of math in it - much more so than any other type of engineering in terms of breadth. Trig is a core component in signals, and a lot of difficult math is involved in electromagnetics as well. Although hardware is a big part of EE, you might feel very uncomfortable with the amount of digital logic you have to understand in order to work with digital hardware.

Just by the way you talk, you sound much more interested in Industrial Engineering.

You sound like a natural for Industrial Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering. Go to Kettering and talk to them about this and visit the departments and look at their textbooks and see their projects. Forget the difficulties and follow whatever gets you interested.

1. What are the different fields of engineering?

The main fields of engineering are chemical, civil, electrical, mechanical, and computer engineering. Within these fields, there are various sub-disciplines such as environmental engineering, aerospace engineering, and software engineering.

2. How do I decide which field of engineering to pursue?

It is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when deciding on a field of engineering. Research the various fields and their job prospects, and talk to engineers in different fields to gain a better understanding of what each entails.

3. What is the difference between the different fields of engineering?

Each field of engineering has its own unique focus and applications. Chemical engineering deals with the design and production of chemicals, civil engineering focuses on the design and construction of infrastructure, electrical engineering involves the study of electricity and electronics, mechanical engineering deals with the design and production of mechanical systems, and computer engineering is concerned with the design and development of software and hardware.

4. Which field of engineering has the highest demand?

The demand for engineers varies depending on the industry and location. However, currently, there is a high demand for computer engineers and software developers due to the rapid growth of technology and the increasing need for advanced computing systems.

5. Can I switch fields of engineering after graduating?

It is possible to switch fields of engineering after graduating, but it may require additional education or training. It is important to carefully consider your options before choosing a field to pursue to avoid any potential challenges in switching later on.