What is the x-component of the electric field at the origin?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving electric force and charge. The given information includes a positive charge at the origin and an electric force acting on it. The question asks for the x-component of the electric field at the origin. The correct formula to use is E=kq1q2/r^2.
n77ler
[SOLVED] Electric force and charge

Homework Statement

A positive charge of 2.90 μC is at rest at the origin. An electric force of 65.5 x 10-6 N acts on the charge as shown in the figure below. What is the x-component of the electric field at the origin?

Homework Equations

F=kQ/r^2
E=kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I subbed the charge and force into F=k Q/r^2 and solved for r thinking I could dos somehting with it but it is a hugeeee number so I doubt I am doing it right.

Attachments

• 28.gif
    28.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
F=Eq, use sin and cosine to find the components.

Wrong formulas …

Hi n77ler!

You have the wrong formulas!

Not every electric charge problem asks you to find the force :frown: - in this case, they've told you what the force is, and only asked you to find the field!

Just use SWFanatic's formula. :smile:

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It is also known as the Coulomb force, named after the scientist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb.

2. What is charge?

Charge is a physical property of matter that describes how strongly an object will interact with electric fields. It can be positive or negative, and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

3. How is electric force calculated?

The electric force between two charged particles can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. What is the relationship between electric force and distance?

The electric force between two charged particles decreases as the distance between them increases. This relationship follows an inverse-square law, meaning that if the distance is doubled, the force is reduced by a factor of four.

5. Can electric force act through a vacuum?

Yes, electric force can act through a vacuum. This is because electric force is a fundamental force that does not require a medium for transmission, unlike other forces such as sound or gravity.