What is this brain scan called?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Electron17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation discusses a test that involves lying down and having a device placed on the head, potentially involving transcranial magnetic stimulation or an EEG. The person had the test done in 2000 or 2001 and it was described as a cool experience. The article linked suggests that the procedure may have been an EEG, as TMS is mostly used for research purposes.
Electron17
When I was younger, I had a test taken where I had to lie down on my back and have this thing placed on my head (there were tubes or wires or something on it) and told to stay still for about 20 minutes. I would close my eyes and I would be racing through (at seemingly high speeds) a bunch of bright shapes. Does anyone know what this scan is called? It was pretty cool.

Biology news on Phys.org
Since it was that long ago, I'm thinking it was (more than likely) an EEG, since according to the Wiki article "most legitimate use of TMS in the USA and elsewhere is currently being done under research protocols approved by hospital ethics boards and, in the US, often under Investigational Device Exemption from the FDA."

Did you read the article I linked to see if the procedure sounded like what you described?

1. What is a brain scan?

A brain scan is a medical imaging technique used to produce images of the brain. It is a non-invasive procedure that allows researchers and doctors to see the structure and function of the brain.

2. What is the purpose of a brain scan?

The purpose of a brain scan is to diagnose and monitor various brain conditions, such as tumors, strokes, and neurological disorders. It can also be used to study brain function and understand how the brain works.

3. How is a brain scan performed?

A brain scan can be performed using different imaging techniques, such as MRI, CT, PET, and SPECT. These techniques use different technologies, such as magnetic fields or radioactive substances, to produce images of the brain.

4. What are the benefits of a brain scan?

A brain scan can provide valuable information about brain function and structure, helping doctors and researchers to diagnose and treat various conditions. It can also help to track the progress of a treatment or monitor the effects of a brain injury.

5. Are there any risks or side effects associated with brain scans?

Most brain scans are considered safe and non-invasive, with minimal risks or side effects. However, some techniques, such as CT scans, involve exposure to radiation, which may increase the risk of cancer. It is important to discuss any potential risks with a doctor before undergoing a brain scan.