Solution by Iteration: Nonrecursive Formula for a_n = 2(n+1)^n

In summary, the recursive statement is "a_n = (n+1)a_{n-1}", but the proposed nonrecursive answer is "a_n = 2(n+1)^{n}".
Goldenwind
[SOLVED] Recurrence Relations

Homework Statement

I need to express this recursive statement as a nonrecursive formula, using the technique of itteration.

[tex]a_n = (n+1)a_{n-1}[/tex]
[tex]a_0 = 2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]a_n = (n+1)(n+1)a_{n-2} = (n+1)^{2}a_{n-2}[/tex]
[tex]a_n = (n+1)(n+1)(n+1)a_{n-3} = (n+1)^{3}a_{n-3}[/tex]
[tex]a_n = (n+1)^{n}a_{n-n}[/tex]
[tex]a_n = 2(n+1)^{n}[/tex]

I plugged both the recursive formula, and my answer, into MS-Excel, and they don't match up. They work for n = 0,1, but then my answer start getting larger than the recursive one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the spreadsheet I'm using to check my answer.

First column is n
Second column is the recursive
Third column is my proposed answer

Attachments

• Recurrence.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 237
Goldenwind said:
[tex]a_0 = 2[/tex]

Hi Goldenwind! :smile:

With these recurrence questions, always start by working out what a_n+2 is in terms of a_n.

Then a_n+3.

By then, you should have a good idea of what is happening.

So … what is happening? :smile:

Which is the same as
[tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{n+1} = a_{n}[/tex][tex]\frac{a_{n+2}}{{(n+1)}^2} = a_{n}[/tex][tex]\frac{a_{n+3}}{{(n+1)}^3} = a_{n}[/tex]

I still don't see my mistake :(
This is pretty much what I did above, only the other way around >.>

Goldenwind said:

Which is the same as
[tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{n+1} = a_{n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a_{n+2}}{{(n+1)}^2} = a_{n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a_{n+3}}{{(n+1)}^3} = a_{n}[/tex]

No no no … :frown:

First, don't rearrange the formula - it's simplest as it is!

Then … be careful!

You should have [tex]a_{n+2}\,=\,(n+2)a_{n+1}\,=\,(n+2)(n+1)a_n\,.[/tex]

So … the nonrecursive formula is … ? :smile:

I always start a problem involving any kind of sequence by working out a few values!

[itex]a_1= (1+1)a_0= 2a_0[/itex]
[itex]a_2= (2+1)a_1= 3a_1= 3(2)a_0[/itex]
[itex]a_3= (3+1)a_2= 4a_2= 4(3)(2)a_0[/itex]
[itex]a_4= (4+1)a_3= 5a_3= 5(4)(3)(2)a_0[/itex]

Anything come to mind?

[itex]a_n = 2(n+1)![/itex]
...is what it looks like to me.

However, even if I know the formula, I need to demonstrate that this *is* the formula, via iteration.

As in, I start out with [itex]a_n = (n+1)a_{n-1}[/itex], then replace [itex]a_{n-1}[/itex] with [itex]a_{n-1} = (n+1)a_{n-2}[/itex], then replace [itex]a_{n-2}[/itex] with [itex]a_{n-2} = (n+1)a_{n-3}[/itex], and so on, until I get to [itex]a_{n-n} = a_0[/itex], where I can simply sub in the given base value, as shown above.

Yeah, I see my mistake... when I replaced n with n-1, or n-1 with n-2, I didn't change the (n+1) at all. Doing so would lead to the factorial, instead of [itex](n+1)^n[/itex].

Thank you for your help :)

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of numbers based on previous terms in the sequence. It is often used to model situations where the value of a variable depends on its previous values.

2. How is a recurrence relation different from a regular mathematical sequence?

A regular mathematical sequence follows a specific pattern, such as adding a constant number or multiplying by a constant factor to get the next term. In a recurrence relation, the next term in the sequence is defined by a mathematical equation that involves previous terms in the sequence.

3. What are some real-life applications of recurrence relations?

Recurrence relations can be used to model many real-life phenomena, such as population growth, compound interest, and the spread of diseases. They are also commonly used in computer science to analyze the time and space complexity of algorithms.

4. How can I solve a recurrence relation?

There are several methods for solving recurrence relations, including substitution, iteration, and the master theorem. The most appropriate method depends on the complexity of the relation and the type of solution needed (closed form or asymptotic). In some cases, it may also be necessary to use generating functions or other advanced techniques.

5. Can recurrence relations be used to solve practical problems?

Yes, recurrence relations can be used to solve many practical problems, particularly in the fields of mathematics, computer science, and engineering. They can help us understand and predict how a system will behave over time, and can be used to optimize processes and make informed decisions.