What must be true to prevent a ladder from slipping against a wall?

• Thread starter javamanjohn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary: I think it would be d. I mean, if you let the friction coefficient at the wall approach infinity, mustnt it be enough to stop the ladder from sliding down, no matter the mass on the ladder or the leaning angle?
javamanjohn
1. A ladder leans up against a wall. If the ladder is not to slip, which one of the following must be true?
a.friction between the ladder and wall must not be zero
b.friction between the ladder and floor must not be zero
c. both a and b
d. either a orb
e. neither a or b

2. net force =0, net torque = 0

3. i think it should be b. Can someone concur or correct me?

Physics news on Phys.org
i believe you are correct and the answer is b. the ladder and floor must have friction or the ladder falls.

as for a the ladder is perfect in ballance and no forces are acting upon it the ladder would not slip and would stay up.

I think it would be d. I mean, if you let the friction coefficient at the wall approach infinity, mustnt it be enough to stop the ladder from sliding down, no matter the mass on the ladder or the leaning angle?

I don't think it can be d, since the ladder is not weightless, the weight applied on the frictionless floor will cause the ladder to come off from the wall and onto the floor.

Kurret said:
I think it would be d. I mean, if you let the friction coefficient at the wall approach infinity, mustnt it be enough to stop the ladder from sliding down, no matter the mass on the ladder or the leaning angle?

The frictional force at the wall is there because there is normal reaction N at the point of contact. If the frictional force at the floor is zero, then there is nothing to balance the N at the wall, and ladder would be pushed away from the wall just enough to make N zero, and then it would slide on the floor, as mentioned by DBXO at the bottom. So, there has to be frictional force at the floor.

The correct answer would be (b).

DBXO said:
I don't think it can be d, since the ladder is not weightless, the weight applied on the frictionless floor will cause the ladder to come off from the wall and onto the floor.

1. How do I determine the correct angle for a ladder leaning against a wall?

The ideal angle for a ladder leaning against a wall is 75 degrees. This can be achieved by placing the base of the ladder 25% of its working length away from the wall.

2. What is the safest way to use a ladder leaning against a wall?

Always make sure the ladder is on a stable and level surface. Use the 4-to-1 rule: for every 4 feet of vertical height, move the base of the ladder 1 foot away from the wall. Make sure the ladder is secured at the top and bottom, and do not exceed the maximum weight limit.

3. Can I use a ladder leaning against a wall to access my roof?

It is not recommended to use a ladder leaning against a wall to access your roof. Instead, use a roof ladder or a ladder stabilizer to ensure safe and stable access to your roof.

4. What should I do if my ladder starts to slip while leaning against a wall?

If you feel the ladder starting to slip, stay calm and slowly descend the ladder. If possible, have someone hold the ladder in place while you descend. Do not try to overcorrect the ladder's position while on it.

5. Is it safe to use a damaged ladder leaning against a wall?

No, it is not safe to use a damaged ladder. Always inspect your ladder before using it, and if there are any signs of damage, do not use it. It is important to regularly maintain and replace your ladder to ensure safe use.