Exponential Fourier Series for Pulse Train

In summary, the conversation is about finding the exponential Fourier series for a given pulse train. The homework equations and attempt at a solution are shown, with the main focus being on finding the value for n=0. The error in the attempted solution is identified and the need for including x(t) or changing the limits of integration is discussed. The conversation also briefly mentions the need for labeling the magnitude of pt(t) and the possibility of integrating from 0 to 0.4x10^-3 and multiplying by 2 due to even symmetry.
opticaltempest

Homework Statement

I need help finding the exponential Fourier series for the pulse train below.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/1184/20080427091409ev5.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]p_T(t)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}{D_n e^{j2nt}[/tex]

[tex]D_n=\frac{1}{T_0}\int_{T_0}^{}{x(t)e^{-j2nt}dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/2376/20080427093457iy6.jpg

I know that D0=0.2. However, I cannot evaluate my final answer for n=0 because I have n in the denominator. Where am I going wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first line in your attempted solution has an error: you need to either include x(t) inside the integral, or change the limits of integration.

I forgot to label on the graph that the magnitude of pt(t) is 1. Why can't I integrate from 0 to 0.4x10^-3 and multiply by 2 since there is even symmetry?

1. What is an Exponential Fourier Series for Pulse Train?

An Exponential Fourier Series for Pulse Train is a mathematical representation of a periodic signal that consists of a series of discrete pulses. It is used to decompose a pulse train into a sum of sinusoidal components with different frequencies and amplitudes.

2. How is an Exponential Fourier Series for Pulse Train calculated?

An Exponential Fourier Series for Pulse Train is calculated by using the formula: where is the complex coefficient for the kth harmonic and is the fundamental frequency of the pulse train.

3. What is the significance of the complex coefficients in an Exponential Fourier Series for Pulse Train?

The complex coefficients in an Exponential Fourier Series for Pulse Train represent the amplitude and phase of each sinusoidal component in the decomposition of the pulse train signal. They allow us to reconstruct the original pulse train by summing all the individual components.

4. How is an Exponential Fourier Series for Pulse Train used in practical applications?

An Exponential Fourier Series for Pulse Train is commonly used in signal processing and communication systems. It allows us to analyze and manipulate pulse train signals in the frequency domain, making it useful in tasks such as filtering, modulation, and demodulation.

5. What are the advantages and limitations of using an Exponential Fourier Series for Pulse Train?

The main advantage of using an Exponential Fourier Series for Pulse Train is that it provides a compact and efficient representation of a periodic signal. However, it is limited to signals that are periodic and have a finite number of pulses. Additionally, it may not accurately represent signals with sharp edges or discontinuities.