Discussing Bose Einstein Condensate: Questions & Answers

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of fermions, specifically electrons and positrons, forming a Bose-Einstein condensate. While fermions cannot directly form a condensate due to their half integer spin and Pauli's exclusion principle, they can form bound pairs under certain circumstances and exhibit Bose-Einstein statistics. This topic is still extensively researched and has potential implications in fields such as superconductivity and superfluidity.
scupydog
Is this the right place to discuss Bose Einstein condensate.

Physics news on Phys.org
scupydog said:
Is this the right place to discuss Bose Einstein condensate.

well here goes any way, i know that bosons can be made to condensate and whole atoms (as long as they have an even number of electrons) but what i would like to discuss is, can electrons (or positrons) condensate or is there some law that does not allow this. Either way could someone set me on the right track.
regards Scupy.

scupydog said:
well here goes any way, i know that bosons can be made to condensate and whole atoms (as long as they have an even number of electrons) but what i would like to discuss is, can electrons (or positrons) condensate or is there some law that does not allow this. Either way could someone set me on the right track.
regards Scupy.
Boson's are particles with integer spin (photons, W Bosons, Phonons etc.) and obey Bose-Einstein statistics, which allows Boson's to form BECs.

However, electrons (and positrons, quarks, muons etc.) have half integer spin, are called Fermions and obey Fermi-Dirac statistics (as opposed to Bose-Einstein statistics). Fermions must also obey Pauli's exclusion principle which states that the overall wavefunction for two identical fermions must be anti-symmetric. Roughly speaking, this means that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state at the same time. In other words, no two fermions can occupy the same point in space at the same time and therefore cannot form BECs.

However, fermionic condensates do exist and are still a highly researched topic.
Of course fermions can't form a condensate directly, but under certain circumstances one can force them to build bound pairs. The following two-particle statistics obey Bose-Einstein-statistics as the pairs are now composite bosons and can in some situations form a condensate. This mechanism is rather similar (although not the same) to the cooper pair mechanism of electrons in conventional superconductors.

Hootenanny said:
Boson's are particles with integer spin (photons, W Bosons, Phonons etc.) and obey Bose-Einstein statistics, which allows Boson's to form BECs.

However, electrons (and positrons, quarks, muons etc.) have half integer spin, are called Fermions and obey Fermi-Dirac statistics (as opposed to Bose-Einstein statistics). Fermions must also obey Pauli's exclusion principle which states that the overall wavefunction for two identical fermions must be anti-symmetric. Roughly speaking, this means that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state at the same time. In other words, no two fermions can occupy the same point in space at the same time and therefore cannot form BECs.

Thx Hootenanny, i need to check out the Fermi-Dirac stuff i think, this was not mentioned in the book I've been reading, Super-conductivity and super-fluidity.

Cthugha said:
However, fermionic condensates do exist and are still a highly researched topic.
Of course fermions can't form a condensate directly, but under certain circumstances one can force them to build bound pairs. The following two-particle statistics obey Bose-Einstein-statistics as the pairs are now composite bosons and can in some situations form a condensate. This mechanism is rather similar (although not the same) to the cooper pair mechanism of electrons in conventional superconductors.

Also thanks Cthugha, do you know where i could find any information on Fermionic condensates, i would like to know the particulars, especially positron BEC's if they exist.

Cooper pairs in BCS theory of low-temperature superconductivity are the prototypical examples of fermions forming pairs and condensing.

1. What is Bose Einstein Condensate (BEC)?

Bose Einstein Condensate is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures, close to absolute zero (-273.15°C or -459.67°F). It is a superfluid that behaves as a single quantum entity, with all particles occupying the same quantum state.

2. How is BEC created?

BEC is created by cooling a gas of bosons (particles with integer spin) to extremely low temperatures, close to absolute zero. This causes the particles to lose their individual identities and merge into a single quantum state, forming a BEC.

3. What is the significance of BEC in scientific research?

BEC has opened up new avenues of research in the field of quantum mechanics. Its unique properties make it a useful tool for studying quantum phenomena and conducting experiments that were previously not possible. It has also led to advancements in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing.

4. Can BEC exist in nature?

Yes, BEC can exist in nature. However, it is only possible to observe it in extremely controlled environments, such as in laboratories, due to the specific conditions required for its formation.

5. What are some potential applications of BEC?

BEC has potential applications in various fields, including precision measurements, quantum optics, and quantum information processing. It could also be used to develop more efficient sensors and improve our understanding of fundamental physics.