Antenna Height & Wavelength | Amplitude Modulation

In summary: Thanks for the input.In summary, the professor was discussing the need for modulation and how height of the transmitting antenna should be a multiple of "one fourth the wavelength". He also mentioned that you can compensate for breaking the rule somewhat depending on the type of antenna. He recommended reading the ARRL Antenna Handbook.
arvik
Hey guys, professor at college just completed teaching amplitude modulation and other stuff.Well while explaining need for modulation he said that height of transmitting antenna should be a multiple of "one fourth the wavelength" and so it is required to modulate the signal to higher carrier frequency.
Can somebody explain just briefly how we get the relation between height of antenna and wavelength?I tried searching for it on the net but couldn't find any xplanation in regards to it.
thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on the type of antenna and you can compensate for breaking the rule somewhat.
IIRC the rule applies mostly to horizontal dipole where the ground can work as an passive element to the driven element changing the impedance and radiation pattern.
An end feed vertical has the opposite constraint.
The end needs to be at the ground or you need to construct a ground plane.

A good source for antenna design is the ARRL Antenna Handbook.
(ARRL = American Radio Relay League)

arvik said:
Hey guys, professor at college just completed teaching amplitude modulation and other stuff.Well while explaining need for modulation he said that height of transmitting antenna should be a multiple of "one fourth the wavelength" and so it is required to modulate the signal to higher carrier frequency.
Can somebody explain just briefly how we get the relation between height of antenna and wavelength?I tried searching for it on the net but couldn't find any xplanation in regards to it.
thanks.

I think the prof was talking about the length of the radiating elements, not the height above the ground plane. Both affect the radiation pattern, but the quarter wavelength refers to the resonant length of each half of a dipole antenna, or the single element of a monopole antenna. This wikipedia page is a good intro to antennas, with plenty of helpful links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_(radio)

And here is a recent PF thread where we talked about antennas a fair bit:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=210178

Here is some height above the ground stuff.
Starts on page 5.
http://www2.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/local/antplnr.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
In the tradiational PF thread going off at a tangent mode.

The wiki article says that antenna / aerial means a rigid vs stiff wire but mean the same in British English.
I always used antenna for a single element and aerial for the entire system, mutliple dipoles, reflectors etc. Is this common usage?

Welcome to short attention span theater.:smile:

Don't know.
Personally, I'm inclined to think of aerial as archaic usage, at least in the US.
For those times when I need to be more specific than antenna I name the type.

mgb_phys said:
In the tradiational PF thread going off at a tangent mode.

The wiki article says that antenna / aerial means a rigid vs stiff wire but mean the same in British English.
I always used antenna for a single element and aerial for the entire system, mutliple dipoles, reflectors etc. Is this common usage?

At least among US HAMS (and the EEs that I work with), antenna refers to the whole thing, and we use the term "element" when referring to a piece of the antenna.

Mmmmmmmmmmm... love the concept of getting a 198kHz antenna a quarter wavelength up...

zeitghost said:
Mmmmmmmmmmm... love the concept of getting a 198kHz antenna a quarter wavelength up...

Yep, as you get to lower frequencies, the size of an efficient antenna can get to be pretty challenging!

What is the relationship between antenna height and wavelength?

The relationship between antenna height and wavelength is known as the antenna's radiation pattern. The radiation pattern is a three-dimensional representation of the antenna's energy distribution in space. As the antenna height increases, the wavelength decreases, and the radiation pattern becomes more directional.

How does antenna height affect the amplitude of an AM signal?

The height of the antenna affects the amplitude of an AM signal by altering the strength of the signal received by the antenna. The higher the antenna, the stronger the signal will be, resulting in a higher amplitude. This is known as antenna gain and is an important factor in determining the range of an AM signal.

Why is it important to consider antenna height when broadcasting an AM signal?

Antenna height is crucial in broadcasting an AM signal because it determines the coverage area and strength of the signal. A higher antenna height allows for a larger coverage area and stronger signal, resulting in better reception for listeners.

What is the optimal antenna height for an AM broadcasting station?

The optimal antenna height for an AM broadcasting station depends on various factors such as the desired coverage area, terrain, and regulatory restrictions. In general, a taller antenna height will result in a larger coverage area and stronger signal, but it is essential to consider all factors when determining the optimal height for a specific broadcasting station.

How does changing the antenna height affect the wavelength of an AM signal?

The wavelength of an AM signal is inversely proportional to the antenna height. As the antenna height increases, the wavelength decreases. This is because the antenna acts as a resonant element, and the length of the antenna is related to the wavelength of the signal it is transmitting. Therefore, changing the antenna height will result in a corresponding change in the wavelength of the AM signal.