Question regarding the big bang theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the belief in the Big Bang theory and how it relates to the structure of the universe. The idea that the distance from the sun to the end of the universe is only 137,000 times longer than the distance from the sun to the end of the galaxy is questioned. The conversation also touches on the suggestion to study the Big Bang theory at a university and provides a link to a paper that may clarify some misconceptions.
kasse
How can the distance from the sun to the end of the universe be only 137 000 times longer than the distance from the sun to the end of the galaxy?

Space news on Phys.org
Well, perhaps you could give us some links to support your comments. Most importantly, what do you mean here by "the end of the universe"?

I'm editing your title-- it's not conducive to a sensible discussion.

Last edited:
If BB is true, one would expect the galaxies to spread out evenly. But this is not the case. They are shaped in complex filaments with enormous empty spaces in between. It takes a long time to form these structures. The sunlight moves really slowly in this on this scale - and then we're talking of the highest POSSIBLE speed!

So to me, believing in BB is a religion.

A BB-supporting friend of mine suggested that I study BB at a university before criticizing it. I'm not going to do that, but I'd like to learn more. Any suggestions to what I can read? Preferably websites.

Try having a read of this paper: http://personal.tcu.edu/~mfanelli/misconceptions_bigbang.pdf . It may iron out some of your misconceptions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm closing this thread, since the OP seemingly does not want to learn. Kasse, if you wish to reply to this thread, then PM me.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, a small, dense point, and expanded and cooled over billions of years, eventually leading to the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets.

2. How was the Big Bang Theory discovered?

The Big Bang Theory was first proposed by Belgian priest and astronomer Georges Lemaître in the 1920s. It was later supported by observational evidence, such as the redshift of galaxies, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the abundance of light elements in the universe.

3. Is the Big Bang Theory widely accepted?

Yes, the Big Bang Theory is currently the most widely accepted explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It is supported by a vast amount of scientific evidence and has been confirmed by numerous observations and experiments.

4. What are some key concepts in the Big Bang Theory?

Some key concepts in the Big Bang Theory include the expansion of the universe, cosmic inflation, dark matter, and dark energy. These concepts help to explain the observations and evidence that support the theory.

5. Are there any alternative theories to the Big Bang Theory?

Yes, there are some alternative theories, such as the Steady State Theory and the Oscillating Universe Theory. However, these theories have not been supported by as much evidence as the Big Bang Theory and are not widely accepted by the scientific community.