Help choosing a real-time processor

• Thread starter sciguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Processor
In summary: The Arduino is a board level computer that is very popular for hobby projects and home automation. It is very easy to program and uses a USB connection.
sciguy
Hello all, I need some help choosing a microprocessor for a hobby project I am doing. I have 12 photodiodes that are detecting light levels. They will be converted to digital signals (above a certain voltage indicates activation). I need a simple microprocessor that can takes inputs from all 12 simultaneously and perform an action when anyone of them are tripped. I'd like to be able to program it simply through a computer if possible.

Thanks for any help :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
You likely want a microcontroller that is hobbyist friendly, the most popular of which by a huge margin is the PIC. The PIC comes in DIPs that you can plug into a bread board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIC_microcontroller

If you don't want to work at the chip level, the next level up would be something like a gumstix, a very small and simple board level complete computer. No soldering or PC board fabrication required.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumstix

I was thinking about a basic Stamp 2px but I am concerned that I may not be fast enough to process everything in a loop with enough leeway to respond in real time. Is there anything similar to that that is faster, or supports interrupts?

I'm pretty sure the Basic Stamp will be fast enough for you. (depends on the application of course, but you probably won't notice a delay). I used a BS to control a string of LEDs for a persistence of vision project on a bicycle wheel. (picture link below)

fastermustache.org/gallery2/gallery/randomness/IMG_6905.JPG.html

It was pushing the limits on the speed of the chip, but the ease of programming it made it worthwhile.

I plan on getting an Arduino board for my next project. I can't recommend it since I haven't used one yet, but maybe worth checking out.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino

1. What is a real-time processor?

A real-time processor is a type of central processing unit (CPU) designed to handle tasks and data in real-time, meaning that it must process information as it is received without any delay. This type of processor is commonly used in systems that require immediate response and continuous operation, such as industrial control systems, medical equipment, and military applications.

2. How do I choose the right real-time processor for my project?

Choosing the right real-time processor depends on several factors, including the specific requirements and demands of your project, the type of real-time operating system you will be using, and your budget. It is important to carefully consider these factors and consult with experts in the field to determine the best fit for your project.

3. What are the main differences between a real-time processor and a general-purpose processor?

The main difference between a real-time processor and a general-purpose processor is their intended use. Real-time processors are designed for time-critical tasks, while general-purpose processors are designed for a wide range of applications. Real-time processors also typically have dedicated hardware for time-sensitive operations, such as interrupt handling and scheduling, while general-purpose processors rely on software for these tasks.

4. How important is the clock speed in a real-time processor?

The clock speed, or the frequency at which a processor can execute instructions, is an important factor to consider when choosing a real-time processor. However, it is not the only factor that determines the performance of a real-time system. Other factors such as interrupt handling, memory access, and instruction set also play a significant role in the overall performance of a real-time processor.

5. Can a real-time processor be used in non-real-time applications?

While real-time processors are specifically designed for time-critical tasks, they can also be used in non-real-time applications. However, this may not be the most efficient or cost-effective solution. Non-real-time applications may not fully utilize the capabilities of a real-time processor and may be better suited for a general-purpose processor. It is important to carefully assess the needs and requirements of your project before deciding on a processor.