Thermal efficiency of a coal powered power station

In summary, the company plans to build a coal powered plant with a hot reservoir temperature of 392.4 K and a cold reservoir temperature of 120 degs Celsius. The minimum temperature for the company to break even is 703K. This takes into account the efficiency of the distribution system and the heat engine, which can be multiplied to get the total efficiency of 6/15.
coffeem
[SOLVED] Thermal efficiency of a coal powered power station

Homework Statement

A company plans to build a coal powered plant for eletricity generation. The coal is to be burnt ina heat engine designed to maintain a hot resovoir temp Th, and a cold resovoir of 120 degs celcius. What is the minimum Th for the company to break even, if domestic users are charged 15p kWh? Company buys coal at 6p kWh. 10% of electrical energy is lost in distribution system. Ignore capital costs.

Homework Equations

n = 1 - Tc/Th

The Attempt at a Solution

Well n = 0.9*6/15 = 0.36

So rearranging the equation i get:

Th = Tc/0.64

So remebering to change the units to Kelvins:

Th = 392.4 K

Problem is the anwer should be: 703K so where am I going wrong? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi coffeem,

coffeem said:

Homework Statement

A company plans to build a coal powered plant for eletricity generation. The coal is to be burnt ina heat engine designed to maintain a hot resovoir temp Th, and a cold resovoir of 120 degs celcius. What is the minimum Th for the company to break even, if domestic users are charged 15p kWh? Company buys coal at 6p kWh. 10% of electrical energy is lost in distribution system. Ignore capital costs.

Homework Equations

n = 1 - Tc/Th

The Attempt at a Solution

Well n = 0.9*6/15 = 0.36

I don't think this is right. The overall minimum efficiency (combined effect of the heat engine efficiency and distribution efficiency) is 6/15.

alphysicist said:
Hi coffeem,

I don't think this is right. The overall minimum efficiency (combined effect of the heat engine efficiency and distribution efficiency) is 6/15.

Hi thanks for taking your time to help. I am not 100& clear on what you mean. I agree that the efficiency should by 6/15 but as it said 10% is lost am I not correct in multiplying by 0.9 to account for this?

Also when I use that value as the efficiency level I still fail to get the required answer.

Yes, multiplying by 0.9 accounts for the efficiency of the distribution system, because since 10% is lost it is 90% efficient.

But in this problem there are three efficiencies to keep track of: the efficiency of the distribution system (which is 0.9), the efficiency of the heat engine (which you call n), and the efficiency of the total process (distribution system + heat engine) which is 6/15.

You did get the equation that the separate efficiencies here can be multiplied to get the total efficiency, but your equation (n=(0.9)(6/15)) has the terms in the wrong place. What do you get?

Oh ok. I get it that if i divide my 0.9 it works. Thanks.

1. What is thermal efficiency?

Thermal efficiency is a measure of how well a power station converts the energy from burning coal into usable electricity. It is expressed as a percentage and represents the amount of energy that is actually turned into electricity, compared to the total amount of energy contained in the coal.

2. How is thermal efficiency calculated?

Thermal efficiency is calculated by dividing the amount of energy converted into electricity by the total amount of energy contained in the coal. This can be determined by measuring the amount of coal used and the amount of electricity produced over a certain period of time.

3. What factors affect thermal efficiency in a coal powered power station?

Several factors can affect the thermal efficiency of a coal powered power station, including the quality of the coal, the design and condition of the equipment, and the operating conditions. Other factors such as maintenance and weather conditions can also have an impact.

4. How does improving thermal efficiency benefit a coal powered power station?

Improving thermal efficiency can benefit a coal powered power station in several ways. It can reduce the amount of coal needed to produce the same amount of electricity, which can lead to cost savings and reduced emissions. It can also improve the overall reliability and performance of the power station.

5. What are some ways to improve the thermal efficiency of a coal powered power station?

There are several ways to improve the thermal efficiency of a coal powered power station, including upgrading equipment, optimizing operating conditions, and implementing new technologies such as carbon capture and storage. Regular maintenance and proper handling of coal can also help to improve efficiency.