Exploring Light and Black Holes

• Thread starter marrsal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: I am supposing this assumption based on the concept of "black holes" being capable to "attract" light itself back to its core.It's not that light is attracted to the core, it's just that the gravity is so strong that light cannot escape and is pulled into the black hole.So, it is not "attraped" but rather "converted".Light is not converted into anything, it is simply trapped within the black hole.If light was capable to be "attracted" by black holes, then we would be virtually "blind" from our universe.Black holes do not trap all light in the universe, they only trap light that gets too close to their event horizons.Imagine the hundreds/thousands of
marrsal
Can somebody tell me when was it decided that light was made of "matter"? I am supposing this assumption based on the concept of "black holes" being capable to "attract" light itself back to its core. I think we do not "see" light from black holes because wavelenght is shifted to a non-visible frequency due to strong electro/magnetic field within the black hole. So, it is not "attraped" but rather "converted". If light was capable to be "attracted" by black holes, then we would be virtually "blind" from our universe. Imagine the hundreds/thousands of black holes that beams of distant light would have to pass near by without being "attraped" or at least "deviated". So, we would be able to "see" a totally different universe from what actually "looks like".

Manuel.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Light is not made of "matter."
Anything massive attracts light, especially "blackholes" (being especially massive).
We do see light from black holes, just not from the inside.
E&M fields inside the black-hole have no effect on anything outside of the black hole (at least the vast majority of the time).
Most astrophysical observation is not done in the visible spectrum; light being shifted into a non-visible range is not an issue when using "technology."
"Attraped" is not a word.
Blackholes occupy a very small fraction of the universe and do not constitute a large impediment for most observations.
All light is "deviated," continuously... we still manage to "see," although some species of mole are "blind."

"Cheers"

marrsal said:
Can somebody tell me when was it decided that light was made of "matter"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light" . The photon is an elementary particle, but not technically matter because it does not have mass. I have no idea who or when that was "decided".

marrsal said:
I am supposing this assumption based on the concept of "black holes" being capable to "attract" light itself back to its core.
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that is completely wrong. :smile: The concept of a black hole came from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_relativity" .

marrsal said:
If light was capable to be "attracted" by black holes, then we would be virtually "blind" from our universe.
Light is trapped by black holes, as is anything within it's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_horizon" is in fact used in astronomy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have my question unanswered, how can black holes trap light if it is not a particle? My hypothetical answer is that it does not trap it, it just changes its properties to be a non visible wave. By the way, thanks for the link.

Manuel.

A black hole warps space time so much that light can't escape. One must move away from the thought of gravity being a force acting on a particle with mass to gravity bending space itself when considering these things. I think its more a matter of semantics. Look up the definition of matter and see whether it fits.

marrsal said:
I still have my question unanswered, how can black holes trap light if it is not a particle?

See this: https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-70266.html

marrsal said:
My hypothetical answer is that it does not trap it, it just changes its properties to be a non visible wave.

Nothing escapes a black hole, not even light. So in a sense it is trapped within the black hole. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_horizon" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Light while it is not matter,and has no mass it is pure energy in the form of photons . Light is, however,is "something" and a black hole will suck up "anything" that comes too near it, including light

Regards

Alan

funny when i say things like this people tear my wording apart so bad... light does not have resting mass but it does have mass... define "pure" energy...

marrsal said:
Can somebody tell me when was it decided that light was made of "matter"?
The earliest referenced of such a comment was made by Einstein in 1916 in his paper On the Foundations of the General Theory of Relativity where he wrote
We make the distinction hereafter between "gravitational field" and "matter" in this way, that we shall denote everything but the gravitational field as "matter." Our use of the word therefore includes not only matter in the ordinary sense, but the electromagnetic field as well.
lzkelley said:
Light is not made of "matter."
Before you can state what is or is not matter you first have to define it. So please state the definition of "matter" in the sense that you are using it. Perhaps you can also tell us why you prefer to define it in that way? Thanks.

Alan McDougal said:
Light while it is not matter,and has no mass it is pure energy in the form of photons.
See above comment and please define what you mean by pure energy please. Thanks.

Pete

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
A black hole warps space time so much that light can't escape. One must move away from the thought of gravity being a force acting on a particle with mass to gravity bending space itself when considering these things.
Why "must" we?

Pete

1. What is light and how does it travel?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation, consisting of particles called photons. It can travel through a vacuum at a speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. What is the relationship between light and black holes?

Black holes are known for their strong gravitational pull, which can even trap light within their event horizon. This phenomenon is known as the "black hole's shadow". Light can also be affected by the curvature of space-time around a black hole, causing it to bend or warp in its path.

3. How do we study light and black holes?

Scientists use a variety of instruments and techniques to study light and black holes. These include telescopes, spectroscopy, and simulations. We can also observe the effects of black holes on their surrounding objects, such as stars and gas clouds.

4. Can light escape a black hole?

No, once light crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. This is because the gravitational pull of a black hole is so strong that even light, which has no mass, cannot overcome it.

5. How do black holes form?

Black holes are formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity. This creates a singularity, a point of infinite density, and a surrounding event horizon, beyond which nothing, including light, can escape.