What is Serotonin? - Investigating Serotonin 83

• Medical
  • Thread starter php111
  • Start date
In summary, serotonin is a neurotransmitter that regulates mood and sleep and is released from some drugs.
php111
Hey everyone,

As I read online about serotonin. It is about the act of depression and mood and so on. What is it exactly? If someone had a user name of serotonin, is there a reason why 83 is followed? As I can remember she is a drug addicted. But serotonin 83. What is it about? Thank you for any replies.

Biology news on Phys.org
php111 said:
Hey everyone,

As I read online about serotonin. It is about the act of depression and mood and so on. What is it exactly? If someone had a user name of serotonin, is there a reason why 83 is followed? As I can remember she is a drug addicted. But serotonin 83. What is it about? Thank you for any replies.
It would mean there are 82 previous users who liked that name. Or that she's born on August 3rd, or March 8th. Or whatever.

The 83 is surely as significant as, say, 426913.

I wouldn't put any weight in the meaning of a username. Really, it's just a way of being clever and memorable. I doubt user Schrodinger's Dog is really a dog at all.

As for what seratonin is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin" .

Last edited by a moderator:
For a starting point Wikipedia is okay. But due to ignorance and questionable motives(my opinion) a lot of entries there become "defaced" in various ways. You cannot trust 'em.

php111 said:
Hey everyone,

Serotonin is a 'neurotransmitter' (which are chemicals that pretty much create signals between neurons within the brain) that regulates things like anger or body temprature, but it's more notable for it's sleep coordination.

As you stated she was 'drug addicted', it might be because serotonin is released within the brain from SOME drugs, things such as 'E' or over the counter drugs like anti-depressants.

The '83' on the end of the name means nothing, just the same as if I were called Markface01, probably just means someone has taken the original name is all.

Hope that helps.

What is Serotonin?

Serotonin is a chemical messenger, also known as a neurotransmitter, that is produced by nerve cells in the brain. It is involved in various bodily functions such as mood regulation, sleep, appetite, and digestion.

How does Serotonin affect our mood?

Serotonin plays a key role in regulating mood. It can affect our emotions, behavior, and thoughts. Low levels of serotonin have been linked to depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders. On the other hand, higher levels of serotonin are associated with feelings of happiness and well-being.

What are the main functions of Serotonin in the body?

Serotonin is involved in a variety of bodily functions, including regulating mood, sleep, appetite, digestion, and memory. It also plays a role in muscle contraction, blood clotting, and wound healing.

How does Serotonin impact sleep?

Serotonin helps to regulate the sleep-wake cycle. It is involved in the production of melatonin, a hormone that helps to promote sleep. Low levels of serotonin can lead to difficulties falling asleep and staying asleep.

What factors can affect Serotonin levels?

There are several factors that can impact serotonin levels, such as genetics, diet, and lifestyle. Certain medications, such as antidepressants, can also affect serotonin levels. Additionally, exposure to sunlight and physical activity can increase serotonin levels.