Find the derivative of the functions

In summary, the question is asking for the derivative of the function, g(x), which is given as (2x2+x+1) / (x2+2x+1). The derivative, dy/dx, is found by dividing the numerator, f(x), by the denominator, g(x).
fr33pl4gu3
The question is as below:

g(x) = (2x2+x+1) / (x2+2x+1)

It says find the derivative of the functions, I don't get it what does it meant by that, derivative supposed to be dy/dx kind of things right, but all the tutorials is so simple, but how do you do this question??

Physics news on Phys.org

fr33pl4gu3 said:
The question is as below:

g(x) = (2x2+x+1) / (x2+2x+1)

It says find the derivative of the functions, I don't get it what does it meant by that, derivative supposed to be dy/dx kind of things right, but all the tutorials is so simple, but how do you do this question??
First, I am going to move this. Just because it is about a derivative, does not mean it has anything to do with differential equations!

Yes, the derivative is dy/dx or, in this case because the function is called "g", dg/dx.

Since g(x) is defined as a fraction, do you know the "quotient rule"?
[tex]\frac{d \frac{f}{g}}{dx}= \frac{\frac{df}{dx}g- f\frac{dg}{dx}}{g^2}[/tex]

No, but i managed to find 2 sites about the question, and i got the final answer in below, i wonder if this is right??

A: (4x+1) / (2x+2)

fr33pl4gu3 said:
No, but i managed to find 2 sites about the question, and i got the final answer in below, i wonder if this is right??

A: (4x+1) / (2x+2)
No, it appears that you have just differentiated the numerator and denominator separately and ignored the formula I gave.
[tex]\frac{d\frac{f}{g}}{dx}\ne \frac{\frac{df}{dx}}{\frac{dg}{dx}}[/tex]

Your function is g(x) = (2x2+x+1) / (x2+2x+1) which is of the form f(x)/h(x) with f(x)= 2x2+ x+ 1 and h(x)= x2+ 2x+ 1. Then f'(x)= 4x+ 1 and h'(x)= 2x+ 2. The formula I gave
[tex]\frac{d\frac{f}{h}}{dx}= \frac{\frac{df}{dx}g- f\frac{dg}{dx}}{g^2}[/tex]
then gives
[tex]\frac{dg}{dx}= \frac{(4x+1)(x^2+ 2x+1)- (2x^2+ x+ 1)(2x+2)}{(x^2+ 2x+ 1)^2}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{3x^2+ 2x-1}{(x^2+ 2x+ 1)^2}[/tex]
which, I believe does not simplify any more.

If you are not familiar with the quotient rule (which you should change immediately), you might be familiar with the product rule. In which case rewrite

[tex] g(x) \, = \, \frac{2x^{2} \, + \, x \, + \, 1}{x^{2} \, + \, 2x \, + \, 1} [/tex]

as

[tex] g(x) \, = \, \left( 2x^{2} \, + \, x \, + \, 1 \right) \left(x^{2} \, + \, 2x \, + \, 1 \right)^{-1} [/tex]

New question,

find the derivative of the function,

f(x) = sin2x(3x2-2)5=cos2x(3x2-2)5 + sin2x(30x-10)4

Can i simplify until the answer: (3x2-2)5 + (30x-10)4

I have no idea what you are doing! You are simply handing us purported "answers"- they are in fact not even close to correct- without showing any work.

Do you know the "chain rule"?
Do you know what the derivative of sin x is?

The derivative of the sin x is cos x, right??

fr33pl4gu3 said:
The derivative of the sin x is cos x, right??

Yes now do you know the deriviative of [tex] f(g(x)) [/tex]?

how is product rule different from chain rule??

fr33pl4gu3 said:
how is product rule different from chain rule??

In way that product rule is for

f(x)*g(x)

so d/dx [f(x)*g(x)] = f'*g + f*g'
and chain rule is for

f[g(x)] = g'(x)*f'[g(x)]

Chain rule: [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[f(g(x))] = g'(x)*f'(g(x))[/tex]

Product rule: [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[f(x)*g(x)] = f'(x)g(x)+g'(x)f(x)[/tex]

Can you see the differences? It sounds like your trying to teach yourself calculus starting with derivative shortcuts, that's a bad idea. Try looking in the tutorials section for video lectures/e-books instead of reading tutorials on shortcuts.

Edit: Damn beat to it XD

I think the first step is understanding the difference betweeen function multiplication and function composition. Do you know that difference from your algebra class?

so the answer should be something like this:

(30x - 10)4 * cos2(3x2-2)5

fr33pl4gu3 said:
so the answer should be something like this:

(30x - 10)4 * cos2(3x2-2)5

>> d/dx '(sin(x))^2*(3*x^2-2)^5'

ans=

It's not

It's 2*sin(x)*(3*x^2-2)^5*cos(x)+30*sin(x)^2*(3*x^2-2)^4*x

This question seems to be above your level right now, try some simpler questions first for good understanding of diff rules and then try this one ...

isn't it f(x) = sin2x and g(x) = (3x2-2)5?? and how is it possible that it evolve until that stage and how does cos x + 30 came from??

Yes, so
it looks like
f[p(x)]*g[q(x)]

Hint: p(x) = sin(x) and f[p(x)] = p(x)^2
similarly q(x) = 3x^2-2 and g(x) = q(x)^5

therefore
d/dx f[p(x)]*g[q(x)] = ??

Use chain rule and product rule together

can anyone show me the whole solution to this question, this is my assignment:

f(x) = sin2x(3x2-2)5

Please and thank you.

No, I certainly hope no one just shows you the answer, after all it is YOUR assignment. RootX's response should be enough to help you figure it out. What about this derivative is still confusing you? Give it a shot yourself.

Is it:
f[p(x)]*g[q(x)]

or

f'[p(x)]*g'[q(x)]

fr33pl4gu3 said:
can anyone show me the whole solution to this question, this is my assignment:

f(x) = sin2x(3x2-2)5

Please and thank you.

It's not clear what the argument of sine is in your expression, you should use parantheses beter. You should also read up on product and composition of functions, once you've mastered that, read up on the product and chain rule and see if you can get it then. Remember this place is for one to get advice and hints not get your homework solved for you.

No, actually that is correct, the chain rule can be written in a multitude of ways.

It might help to re-write the problem like this.

[tex]h(x)=sin(x)[/tex]
[tex]j(x)=h(x)^2[/tex]
[tex]g(x)=3x^2-2[/tex]
[tex]k(x)=g(x)^5[/tex]

So [tex]f(x)=j(x)*k(x)[/tex]

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function at any given point. It represents the slope of a tangent line to the function's curve at that point.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit as the change in x approaches 0. This can be done using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the complexity of the function.

3. Why is finding the derivative important?

Finding the derivative allows us to analyze the behavior of a function, such as identifying maximum and minimum points, inflection points, and concavity. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as calculating rates of change, optimization problems, and physics equations.

4. Can you find the derivative of any type of function?

Yes, the rules of differentiation can be applied to any type of function, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, and inverse trigonometric functions. However, some functions may require more advanced techniques, such as implicit differentiation or logarithmic differentiation.

5. How can I check if my derivative is correct?

One way to check if your derivative is correct is to graph both the original function and its derivative and compare their slopes at different points. Another method is to plug in a few values for x and compare the output to the slope of the original function at those points using the limit definition of a derivative.