Solving an Infinite Series: 1/2(2/3)^n

In summary, the equation for the sum of an infinite geometric series is: \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2}\,\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n
Wholewheat458

Homework Statement

I am to find the sum of the series, but what do i do if it is infinite?? no clue.
i'm also not sure how to type the symbols so i hope you can understand me:shy:
: (Sum) n=0, limit = infinity: 1/2(2/3)^n

Homework Equations

i 'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

i understand how to add up to a limit, but what do i do with the infinity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if the 1/2 is the first term in the product then you can pull it out front (this is obvious by the distributive law). Then recognize it as a geometric series. There is a simple formula for an infinite geometric series which you should try deriving yourself.

.. 1/2(sum)n=0, infinity (2/3)^n+1 ..
?? do you just leave it like that?..
as a sort of equation?

Ok an infinite geometric series like a normal one has a first term conventionally detonated as [tex]a[/tex] and common ratio [tex]r[/tex]. Since we start at n = 0, the first term is (2/3)^0 = 1 (You can't just change the exponent from n to n+1 unless you change the starting value. Making do with what you're given is best in this case). Then we go to n = 1, the second term is (2/3)^1 = 1*(2/3) = 2/3. Then for n = 2, the third term is (2/3)^2 = (2/3)(2/3). Now the idea is to sum all of these terms, i.e. 1 + 1*(2/3) + 1*(2/3)*(2/3) + 1*(2/3)(2/3)(2/3) + ...

So we can generalize a bit. We have [tex]a[/tex] as our first term and a common ratio [tex]r[/tex]. Our sum, which we'll denote [tex]S[/tex] is

[tex]S = a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ...[/tex] (1)

(Compare with the first paragraph to understand why this is true).

Now we need to solve for [tex]S[/tex] because that gives us the sum. The trick here is to multiply [tex]S[/tex] by our common ratio [tex]r[/tex], i.e. multiply both sides of (1) above by [tex]r[/tex] and write it underneath. Then subtract the new equation from (1) and see for yourself how all the terms cancel and allow you to solve easily for [tex]S[/tex]

Wholewheat458 said:

Homework Statement

I am to find the sum of the series, but what do i do if it is infinite?? no clue.
i'm also not sure how to type the symbols so i hope you can understand me:shy:
: (Sum) n=0, limit = infinity: 1/2(2/3)^n

Homework Equations

i 'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

i understand how to add up to a limit, but what do i do with the infinity?

Hi Wholewheat458! :smile:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2}\,\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n[/tex]

[tex]=\ \frac{1}{2}\,\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n[/tex]

You should know what [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n[/tex] is,

but if you don't, just sum it from 0 to N, and then let N --> ∞ :smile:

(btw, it's [noparse][tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2}\,\left(\frac{2}{3}\right)^n[/tex][/noparse] :wink:)

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is represented by the notation ∑n=1an, where an is the nth term of the series.

2. How do you solve an infinite series?

To solve an infinite series, you need to find the sum of all the terms. This can be done by finding a pattern in the terms and using a formula to calculate the sum, or by using specific techniques such as geometric or telescoping series.

3. What is the formula for finding the sum of a geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum of a geometric series is Sn = a1(1 - rn)/(1 - r), where a1 is the first term and r is the common ratio between consecutive terms. This formula only works if the absolute value of r is less than 1, otherwise the series will diverge.

4. How do you solve the infinite series 1/2(2/3)^n?

To solve this infinite series, we can first rewrite it as 1/2(2/3)^n = (1/2)(1/3)^n. This is now in the form of a geometric series with a1 = 1/2 and r = 1/3. Plug these values into the formula Sn = a1(1 - rn)/(1 - r) to find the sum.

5. Can an infinite series have a finite sum?

Yes, an infinite series can have a finite sum if the terms of the series approach zero as n approaches infinity. This is known as a convergent series. However, not all infinite series are convergent and some may have an infinite sum, known as a divergent series.