Coefficient of Resistance for different metals.

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for links to websites that provide information on the coefficients of resistance for different metals, specifically copper and steel. The person asking the question is working in a mill and needs this information for their supervisor. They mention the use of copper and steel equipment in their workplace and the need for general values as the resistance for steel can vary. The keyword for the search is "resistivity", and a Wikipedia entry is suggested to get started. The conversation concludes with the person thanking another member for their help and mentioning their success in finding the needed information.
lukas86
I was wondering if anyone knew of links to different websites that stated the coefficients of resistance for different metals.

Mainly copper, and steel equipment. I am working in a mill and my supervisor asked me to find out these values. There is copper cable running as ground and conductors, and steel equipment which connect to a ground buss which inturn eventually meets up with the grounding cable conductors.

Basically I am looking for general values, and since the resistance for steel varies due to different types of steels, a range or approximate value would help me out.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks, shortly after I posted this I continued my search and found after typing in 'resistivity' I found mostly what I needed. Thanks berkeman.

What is the coefficient of resistance for different metals?

The coefficient of resistance is a measure of the resistance to electric current flow for a specific material. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ω·m).

Why is the coefficient of resistance important?

The coefficient of resistance is important because it helps determine the efficiency of a material in conducting electricity. It also affects the amount of heat generated when an electric current flows through the material.

How does the coefficient of resistance vary for different metals?

The coefficient of resistance varies depending on the atomic structure and composition of the metal. For example, copper has a lower coefficient of resistance compared to iron, meaning it is a better conductor of electricity.

What factors can affect the coefficient of resistance?

The coefficient of resistance can be affected by various factors such as temperature, impurities in the metal, and the material's physical properties. For instance, as the temperature of a metal increases, its coefficient of resistance also increases.

Can the coefficient of resistance be changed?

Yes, the coefficient of resistance can be changed by altering the physical properties of the material. For example, adding impurities to a metal can increase its coefficient of resistance, making it a less efficient conductor of electricity.