Help Solving DE with Squared Term

• Thread starter 2RIP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary, solving a differential equation with a squared term involves using the substitution method, which replaces the squared term with a new variable. This method can be used for any differential equation with a squared term, but may not be the most efficient for higher-order equations. To ensure correct use of the substitution method, follow the steps carefully and check the solution by substituting it back into the original equation or using other methods for verification.
2RIP
Hey guys,

Homework Statement

Solve the following DE,

y"+t(y')^2=0I'm not sure what to do with the square there. Would it help if i divided the whole equation by y'?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
2RIP said:
y"+t(y')^2=0

Hey 2RIP! :smile:

HInt: put y' = v …

then it's v' + tv2 = 0. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hey 2RIP! :smile:

HInt: put y' = v …

then it's v' + tv2 = 0. :wink:

Oh thanks tiny-tim, it becomes a separable equation :P

1. How do I solve a differential equation with a squared term?

Solving a differential equation with a squared term involves using a method called substitution. This means replacing the squared term with a new variable, so that the equation can be solved like a regular first-order differential equation.

2. What is the substitution method for solving DE with a squared term?

The substitution method involves replacing the squared term with a new variable, typically denoted as u. Then, the differential equation can be rewritten in terms of u and solved using regular first-order differential equation techniques.

3. Can I use the substitution method for any differential equation with a squared term?

Yes, the substitution method can be used for any differential equation that contains a squared term. However, it may not always be the most efficient method for solving the equation, so it is important to consider other techniques as well.

4. Are there any limitations to using the substitution method for solving DE with a squared term?

One limitation of the substitution method is that it may not work for higher-order differential equations. In these cases, other techniques such as the power series method or Laplace transform may be more suitable for solving the equation.

5. How do I know if I am using the substitution method correctly to solve a DE with a squared term?

To ensure that you are using the substitution method correctly, make sure to carefully follow the steps and check your solution by substituting it back into the original equation. You can also compare your solution to other known solutions or use software programs to verify your answer.