Exp Matrix to solve an initial value problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an initial value problem using the exponential matrix. Part a) involves finding the e^{tA} matrix, which is successfully done. Part b) involves finding the solution for x', which can be written as x(t) = e^{tA} \cdot x(0) + e^{tA} \cdot \int_{0}^{t} e^{-sA} \cdot (1,0) ds. The confusion may lie in the notation, but this solution can be simplified using the e^{tA} matrix from part a) to evaluate the integral.
Alphaboy2001
Exp Matrix to solve an initial value problem(urgent)

Homework Statement

Given the matrix [tex]A = \left[\[\begin{array}{ccc} 2 & 2 \\ 1& 3 \end{array}\right][/tex]

a) Find the [tex]e^{tA}[/tex]

2) Solve the [tex]x' = Ax + (1,0) \begin{array}{c} \end{array}[/tex] where x(0) = (0,0)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [tex]e^{tA} = P_{A} \cdot e^{Dt} \cdot P'[/tex]

Which in my book gives

[tex]e^{tA} = \left[\[\begin{array}{ccc} -2 & 1 \\ 1& 1 \end{array}\right] \cdot \left[\[\begin{array}{ccc} e^{t} & 0 \\ 0& e^{16t} \end{array}\right] \cdot \left[\[\begin{array}{ccc} -\frac{1}{3} & \frac{1}{3} \\ \frac{4}{3}& \frac{8}{3} \end{array}\right] [/tex]

[tex]e^{tA} = \left[\[\begin{array}{ccc} \frac{2}{3}\cdot e^{t} + \frac{4}{3}\cdot e^{16t} & \frac{-2}{3}\cdot e^{t} + \frac{8}{3}\cdot e^{16t} \\ \frac{-1}{3}\cdot e^{t} + \frac{4}{3}\cdot e^{16t} & \frac{1}{3}\cdot e^{t} + \frac{8}{3}\cdot e^{16t} \end{array} \right][/tex]

Doesn't that look okay??

b) From what I remember the solution for x' can be written as [tex]X = e^{tA} \cdot C[/tex]

Which in my case gives [tex]X = e^{tA} \cdot \left[\begin{array}{c} 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right][/tex]

This is how my textbook argues how solve such eqn, but if I fry to x' I totally different result. What am I doing wrong? Or could somebody please be so kind to lead me on the right path/track?? :)

Sincerely
Alphaboy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Alphaboy,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your solution for part a). Your matrix for e^{tA} looks correct. However, for part b), there may be some confusion with the notation. The solution for x' = Ax + (1,0) with x(0) = (0,0) can be written as x(t) = e^{tA} \cdot x(0) + e^{tA} \cdot \int_{0}^{t} e^{-sA} \cdot (1,0) ds. In this case, x(0) = (0,0), so the first term becomes 0. The second term can be simplified to e^{tA} \cdot \int_{0}^{t} e^{-sA} ds. You can use your solution for e^{tA} from part a) to evaluate this integral. I hope this helps. Good luck with your problem!

Scientist

1. What is an exp matrix?

An exp matrix, or exponential matrix, is a matrix representation of a linear transformation with respect to a basis. It is often used in solving initial value problems in differential equations.

2. How does an exp matrix help in solving initial value problems?

An exp matrix allows for the easy computation of the solution to an initial value problem by using the matrix exponential function, which is a generalization of the exponential function for matrices.

3. What are the steps involved in using an exp matrix to solve an initial value problem?

The steps involved in using an exp matrix to solve an initial value problem include: finding the matrix representation of the differential equation, computing the matrix exponential, finding the inverse of the matrix, and finally, applying the inverse to the initial conditions to obtain the solution.

4. Can an exp matrix be used for all types of initial value problems?

An exp matrix can be used for linear initial value problems, which involve linear differential equations and initial conditions that are linear combinations of the basis vectors. It may not be applicable for non-linear initial value problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using an exp matrix for solving initial value problems?

One limitation of using an exp matrix is that it may only provide a numerical solution and may not give a closed-form solution in some cases. Additionally, it may not be applicable for non-linear initial value problems.