Potential for Electric Charge over Spherical Shell using Legendre Functions

In summary, the potential at a point (r, \theta) inside a thin spherical shell with varying charge density is given by r^l P_l(cos \theta), while the potential at a point (R, \theta) outside the shell is given by r^{-(l+1)} P_l(cos \theta). This is shown by using the expansions (2.26) and (2.27) and the orthogonality relations for Legendre functions. The potential is derived by considering a ring of charge on the shell and integrating over all possible angles. The summation in the final equation cannot be simplified further.
CaptainMarvel

Homework Statement

Electric Charge is distributed over a thin spherical shell with a density which varies in proportion to the value of a single function [tex] P_l(cos \theta) [/tex] at any point on the shell. Show, by using the expansions (2.26) and (2.27) and the orthongonality relations for the Legendre functions, that the potential varies as [tex] r^l P_l(cos \theta) [/tex] at a point [tex] (r, \theta) [/tex] inside the sphere and [tex] r^{-(l+1)} P_l(cos \theta) [/tex] at a point [tex] (R, \theta) [/tex] outside.

Homework Equations

2.26:

[tex] \frac {1} {|R-r|} = \frac {1} {R} + \frac {r} {R^2} P_1 + \frac {r^2} {R^3} P_2 + ... [/tex]

2.27:

[tex] P_l(cos \theta_{AB}) = \sum_{m=-l}^{+l} (-1)^{|m|} C_{l,m}(\theta_A , \phi_A) C_{l,-m}(\theta_B , \phi_B) [/tex]

Orthogonality relations for Legendre Functions:

[tex] \int_{-1}^{+1} P_{n}(x) P_{n'}(x) dx = 0 for n \not= n' [/tex]
[tex] \int_{-1}^{+1} P_{n}(x) P_{n'}(x) dx = \frac {2} {2n + 1} for n = n' [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] dV = \frac {1} {4 \pi \epsilon_o} \frac {1} {|R-r|} dq [/tex]

Now consider ring of charge on sphere with area [tex] 2 \pi R^2 sin(\theta) d\theta [/tex]

Therefore charge on the ring is [tex] dq = P_l(cos \theta) (2 \pi R^2 sin(\theta) d\theta) [/tex]

To get the full charge we will have to integrate this ring dq from 0 to pi.

Subbing in using the dq and the relations 2.26 and 2.27:

[tex] dV = \frac {1} {4 \pi \epsilon_o} \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} \sum_{m=-l}^{+l} (-1)^{|m|} \frac {r^l} {R^{l+1}} C_{l,m}(\theta_A , \phi_A) C_{l,-m}(\theta_B , \phi_B) P_l(cos \theta) 2 \pi R^2 sin(\theta) d\theta [/tex]

Since question not reliant on [tex] \phi [/tex] due to spherical symmetry, m = 0 which means all the [tex] C_{l,m} [/tex] become just [tex] P_l(cos \theta) [/tex]:

[tex] dV = \frac {2 \pi} {4 \pi \epsilon_o} \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} r^l R^{1-l} P_l(cos \theta') P_l(cos \theta) P_l(cos \theta) sin(\theta) d\theta [/tex]

Now we integrate theta from 0 to pi as mentioned before:

[tex] V = \frac {2 \pi} {4 \pi \epsilon_o} \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} r^l R^{1-l} P_l(cos \theta') \int_0^{\pi} P_l(cos \theta) P_l(cos \theta) sin(\theta) d\theta [/tex]

If we use substitution [tex] u = cos \theta [/tex] :

[tex] V = \frac {2 \pi} {4 \pi \epsilon_o} \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} r^l R^{1-l} P_l(cos \theta') \int_1^{-1} P_l(u) P_l(u) du [/tex]

Using the orthogonality relation:

[tex] V = \frac {2 \pi} {4 \pi \epsilon_o} \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} r^l R^{1-l} P_l(cos \theta') \frac {2} {2l +1} [/tex]

Cleaning up:

[tex] V = \frac {1} {\epsilon_o} \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} r^l R^{1-l} P_l(cos \theta') \frac {1} {2l +1} [/tex]

Now I'm stuck though. I have no idea how to get rid of the summation. I'd like to do something let set l = 1 to get rid of the [tex] R^{1-l} [/tex] but I know this must be wrong as the final answer still has [tex]l[/tex]s in it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Am I close or have I totally missed the mark?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if it's just my browser but there's a bit of my previous post that is doesn't seem to be able to process correctly. Here are those two lines again:

Now we integrate theta from 0 to pi as mentioned before:

[tex] V = \frac {2 \pi} {4 \pi \epsilon_o} \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} r^l R^{1-l} P_l(cos \theta') \int_0^{\pi} P_l(cos \theta) P_l(cos \theta) sin(\theta) d\theta [/tex]

If we use substitution [tex] u = cos \theta [/tex] :

[tex] V = \frac {2 \pi} {4 \pi \epsilon_o} \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} r^l R^{1-l} P_l(cos \theta') \int_1^{-1} P_l(u) P_l(u) du [/tex]

1. What is the potential for electric charge over a spherical shell?

The potential for electric charge over a spherical shell is given by the Legendre function, which is a mathematical function that describes the potential at any point outside the shell due to the distribution of charge on the shell. It takes into account the distance from the center of the shell, the total charge on the shell, and the shape of the shell.

2. How is the Legendre function used to calculate the potential for electric charge over a spherical shell?

The Legendre function is used to calculate the potential for electric charge over a spherical shell by taking into account the distance from the center of the shell, the total charge on the shell, and the shape of the shell. This function is a solution to Laplace's equation, which describes the behavior of electric fields in a vacuum.

3. What is the difference between a spherical shell and a solid sphere when it comes to electric charge potential?

A spherical shell is a hollow, three-dimensional shape with a constant thickness, while a solid sphere is a three-dimensional shape with a filled interior. When calculating the potential for electric charge over a spherical shell, only the distribution of charge on the surface of the shell is taken into account. In contrast, when calculating the potential for a solid sphere, the distribution of charge throughout the entire volume is considered.

4. Can the potential for electric charge over a spherical shell be negative?

Yes, the potential for electric charge over a spherical shell can be negative. This means that the electric field at that point is directed towards the shell, instead of away from it. The magnitude of the potential depends on the amount and distribution of charge on the shell, as well as the distance from the center of the shell.

5. How does the potential for electric charge over a spherical shell change as the distance from the center of the shell increases?

The potential for electric charge over a spherical shell decreases as the distance from the center of the shell increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, and the potential is directly proportional to the electric field. Therefore, the potential will be larger at points closer to the shell and smaller at points farther away.