How do i know there is always an aerodynamic center?

• Thread starter DaNiEl!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center
In summary, the aerodynamic center is a point on an airfoil that remains constant regardless of the angle of attack. It is supported by both theoretical and experimental evidence and is a crucial concept in understanding airplane stability.
DaNiEl!
hi
i'm still learning these basic concepts of airplane stability, specifically the aerodynamic center, the point about which the pitching moment does not vary with AOA. i just wanted to know if there is a theoretical basis for this, or if it is just experimental. is there some sort of "mathematical" proof for the fact that there exists such a point on all airfoils?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on what you mean by "theoretical basis". If the flow is assumed inviscid, incompressible, irrotational, i.e. representable by linear potential equation, and the airfoil something akin to a thin plate, then, if I remember correctly, it mathematically drops down to existence of such a point.

On the other hand, if you think realism, full Navier-Stokes[*] equations, then there is no such point in general. For example, think of an airfoil at near-transonic Mach number at zero AOA; it's AC is at ~25% chord, but, as the AOA increases, the flow will become transonic, shock forming on the upper surface, which will very much change the AC and everything else.

So, physically, I'd say AC ranks as much theoretical as the [itex]C_l = a_0 (\alpha - \alpha_0)[/itex] relation. However, in stability and other analysis concerning time-dependent, oscillatory effects, frequently the concept of "linearization about a point" is invoked. So you could also think of AC as property of the current AOA, as if the flow were behaving "linearly" for small perturbations of AOA around the current. This leads to mention of "moving AC", which by itself sounds as an oxymoron.

* Not even the existence of solution of NS equations has been proven, hence any aerodynamics result for NS-governed flow cannot be considered theoretical in the mathematics/physics sense.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

Hi there! Great question. The existence of an aerodynamic center on airfoils is based on both theoretical and experimental evidence. The concept was first introduced by German scientist Ludwig Prandtl in the early 1900s, and has since been supported by various mathematical models and experiments.

One of the key theories behind the aerodynamic center is the concept of the center of pressure, which is the point on an airfoil where the lift force acts. The aerodynamic center is located close to the center of pressure, but it is not affected by changes in angle of attack, making it a more stable reference point for analysis.

Additionally, the aerodynamic center is also supported by experimental data, where the pitching moment of various airfoils was measured at different angles of attack. The results showed that there is indeed a point where the pitching moment remains constant, regardless of the angle of attack.

Overall, the existence of the aerodynamic center is a combination of both theoretical and experimental evidence. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the stability of airplanes and is crucial for safe and efficient flight. I hope this helps clarify things for you!

1. How do aerodynamic forces affect an object?

Aerodynamic forces, such as lift and drag, act on an object due to its interaction with the surrounding air. These forces can cause an object to move, change direction, or stabilize its flight.

2. What is the aerodynamic center?

The aerodynamic center is the point on an object where the aerodynamic forces act as if they are concentrated. It is often located near the midpoint of the object's cross-sectional area and is a crucial parameter in determining the stability and maneuverability of an object in flight.

3. How do we know the aerodynamic center always exists?

The existence of the aerodynamic center is a fundamental concept in aerodynamics and is based on the principles of fluid mechanics. It is a result of the distribution of pressure and velocity around an object in a fluid flow and has been proven through numerous experiments and theoretical analyses.

4. Is the location of the aerodynamic center constant?

No, the location of the aerodynamic center can vary depending on the shape and orientation of the object, as well as the speed and density of the surrounding air. However, for a given object in a specific flight condition, the location of the aerodynamic center remains constant.

5. Why is the aerodynamic center important in aircraft design?

The aerodynamic center is a critical factor in determining the stability and controllability of an aircraft in flight. It is used in the design process to ensure the aircraft's stability and handling characteristics meet the desired performance requirements. Additionally, the location of the aerodynamic center affects the distribution of weight and balance in the aircraft, which is crucial for safe and efficient flight.