Surface Integral of a Sphere (non-divergence)

In summary, the problem involves finding the double integral of G over a sphere with radius 3 and z greater than or equal to 0. Using spherical coordinates and a parameterization, the solution involves finding the norm of the cross product of the partial derivatives and integrating without the r term.
Wildcat04

Homework Statement

Evaluate: [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]G(r)dA

Where G = z
S: x2 + y2 + z2 = 9 [tex]z \geq 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

Parameterization
x = r sinu cosv
y = r sinu sin v
z = r cos u

The Attempt at a Solution

r(u,v) = (r sinu cosv)i + (r sinu sinv)j + (r cosu)k
ru = (r cosu cosv)i + (-r cos u sinv)j + (-r sinu)k
rv = (-r sinu sinv)i + (r sinu cosv)j + 0k

dA = |ru x rv|

I am not sure if I am approaching this correctly or if I am way off base. My next step was to complete the dot product of z with dA but this does not seem right and I can't find any good examples in my text.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are doing it ok. There's a simpler way to get dA. You know that dV in spherical coordinates is just r^2*sin(u)*du*dv*dr, right? dA over a sphere is just that without the dr. But you should get the same thing by finding the norm of your cross product.

Last edited:
r= 3 in this problem and you don't use "the dot product of z with dA" because neither is a vector! Just multiply and integrate.

Thank you very much for the help! I believe that I have figured it out now.

1. What is a surface integral of a sphere?

A surface integral of a sphere is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total surface area of a sphere. It involves integrating a function over the surface of the sphere, taking into account the curvature of the surface.

2. How is the surface integral of a sphere different from a volume integral?

The surface integral of a sphere only takes into account the surface of the sphere, while a volume integral calculates the volume enclosed by the sphere. The surface integral is a two-dimensional concept, while the volume integral is three-dimensional.

3. What is the formula for calculating the surface integral of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the surface integral of a sphere is:

∫∫S f(x,y,z) dS = ∫∫R f(x,y,z) √(1 + (fx)^2 + (fy)^2) dA

Where S is the surface of the sphere, R is the region in the xy-plane projected onto the sphere, and f(x,y,z) is the function being integrated.

4. Can the surface integral of a sphere be negative?

Yes, the surface integral of a sphere can be negative. This can occur if the function being integrated has negative values on certain parts of the sphere's surface.

5. What are some real-world applications of the surface integral of a sphere?

The surface integral of a sphere has many applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences. It can be used to calculate the total heat flow through a spherical surface, the total mass of a spherical object, or the total electric flux through a spherical surface. It is also used in various physical and mathematical models involving spherical surfaces.