Bernoulli Numbers, Euler-Maclauring Formula - Math Methods class

Oh, okay. So it's a geometric series with a ratio of e^{-x}.And then,\int_0^{\Theta/T} x^5 (e^{-x})^n dx = \frac{5!}{n!}\int_0^{\Theta/T} (e^{-x})^n dx = \frac{5!}{n!}(-1)^n e^{-n \Theta/T}...What do I do next?In summary, the Bloch-Gruneissen approximation for the resistance on a monovalent metal is given by the equation \rho=C(T^{5}/\Theta^{6})\int^{\Theta/T}_{0}\frac{x^{
kde2520

Homework Statement

The Bloch-Gruneissen approximation for the resistance on a monovalent metal is

[tex]\rho[/tex]=C(T[tex]^{5}[/tex]/[tex]\Theta[/tex][tex]^{6}[/tex])[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{\Theta/T}_{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{x^{5}dx}{(e^{x}-1)(1-e^{-x})}[/tex]

(a)For T->[tex]\infty[/tex], show that [tex]\rho[/tex]=(C/4)(T/[tex]\Theta^{2}[/tex])

(b)For T->0, show that [tex]\rho[/tex]=5![tex]\zeta(5)[/tex]C[tex]\frac{T^{5}}{\Theta^{6}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The section is on Bernoulli numbers and the Euler-Maclaurin Formula. Several definitions including x/(e^x-1)=sum->(Bn*x^n)/n!, Bernoulli Polynomials, Reimann-Zeta function, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a) I see that as T->infinity the upper integration limit goes to zero, thus I may approximate the integrand giving (as the integrand) x^5/[(x+x^2/2!+x^3/3!+...)(-x+x^/2!-x^3/3!+...)]. Can I just multiply this out, simplify, and integrate term by term? If so, over what integration limits?

For part (b) the upper limit goes to infinity so I'm guessing I need to do the integral by substituting some definition of the Bernoulli Numbers?...

Help...

PS - Sorry if the equations are unclear. I'm new to LaTex. Help with that would be appreciated too.

Physics news on Phys.org
kde2520 said:
Can I just multiply this out, simplify, and integrate term by term?

Yep! (You have a sign wrong though ...)
kde2520 said:
If so, over what integration limits?

Same as before, you just think of the upper limit as a small parameter.
kde2520 said:
For part (b) the upper limit goes to infinity so I'm guessing I need to do the integral by substituting some definition of the Bernoulli Numbers?...

Try expanding everything but the [itex]x^5[/itex] in powers of [itex]e^{-x}[/itex].

As for LaTeX, just put the beginning and ending tex and /tex commands around the whole equation:

[tex]\rho=C(T^{5}/\Theta^{6})\int^{\Theta/T}_{0}\frac{x^{5}dx}{(e^{x}-1)(1-e^{-x})}[/tex]

I guess you mean the sign is wrong in the expansion of [tex]e^{-x}[/tex]? What is it's expansion?

Avodyne said:
Try expanding everything but the [itex]x^5[/itex] in powers of [itex]e^{-x}[/itex].

Isn't that what we did for part (a)?

Thanks for the LaTex tip!

I mean an expansion like

[tex]{1\over 1-e^{-x}}=\sum_{n=0}^\infty (e^{-x})^n[/tex]

1. What are Bernoulli numbers?

Bernoulli numbers are a sequence of rational numbers that arise in various mathematical contexts, including number theory, representation theory, and combinatorics. They are named after Swiss mathematician Jacob Bernoulli, who first described them in the 18th century.

2. What is the Euler-Maclaurin formula?

The Euler-Maclaurin formula is a mathematical formula that provides an expansion of a sum of function values in terms of the derivatives of the function. It is named after Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler and Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin.

3. How are Bernoulli numbers and the Euler-Maclaurin formula related?

The Euler-Maclaurin formula involves Bernoulli numbers in its expansion, specifically the Bernoulli numbers of even order. These numbers help to approximate the sum of a function, making the formula a useful tool in various mathematical applications.

4. What are some applications of Bernoulli numbers and the Euler-Maclaurin formula?

Bernoulli numbers and the Euler-Maclaurin formula have many applications in mathematics, including in calculus, number theory, and physics. They are used to solve problems involving series expansions, integrals, and sums, as well as in the study of prime numbers and special functions.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Bernoulli numbers and the Euler-Maclaurin formula?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of Bernoulli numbers and the Euler-Maclaurin formula, particularly in science and engineering. They are used in the calculation of gravitational forces, in the study of fluid dynamics, and in the design of computer algorithms, among others.