Troubleshooting Dell Inspiron 6400 Vista Lockups

In summary, the Dell laptop is having trouble locking up and not powering down. The only way to clear the issue is to take the batteries out.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have a Dell inspiron 6400 running vista, on a lot of sites it will lock up, ctr, alt , del doe's
nothing, and it will not power down, the only way i clear this is by taking the batteries out,
i do this and she starts up no problem.
I have run virus checks but none have been found, could this be hardwear prob?
Thanks for any help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Glad to see you on line :smile:

Next time check if just pressing the on switch for a few seconds won't restart it.

It can be anything. Check if the same happens with other browsers.

Borek said:
Glad to see you on line :smile:

Next time check if just pressing the on switch for a few seconds won't restart it.

It can be anything. Check if the same happens with other browsers.

Thanks Borek.

I have tried button pressing, un installed/ re installed firefox, still the same as with IE,
although it seems to happen less often now.

Most lock - up issues have had with Dell laptops have had to do with display drivers. With my current precision the latest nvidia drivers (177.82) provided the relief (before them had about a lockup / week, now about 1 / 2 months). Often they arise with browsers, and one old trick was to turn off "advanced" features such as smooth scrolling (which for some reason was a big issue for 173 drivers and could always lock the thing up). So without knowing much about your hardware would 1st make sure the display driver is up to date, next probably make sure flash plugin is up to date or disable it and see if it makes a difference. In my case a hard power - off was the way to turn the laptop off (pressing the power button like 5 secs or something). Also running diagnostics with the dell diagnostics utility / CD to check for hardware issues is probably a good idea.

Thanks Perennial, at least i have some things to look for now.

My vote would be for graphics drivers, my laptops freezes coming out of standby with the latest drivers.
A good test for potential HW problems is to download one of the live-cd Linux distributions, like Ubuntu. Boot from the CD and see if that works, if it does then it's a software problem. They also generally have a memtest boot which is worth running if you have intermittent problems.

1. Why does my Dell Inspiron 6400 keep locking up on Vista?

There are several possible reasons for your Dell Inspiron 6400 to lock up on Vista, including software conflicts, outdated drivers, and hardware issues. It is recommended to troubleshoot each of these possibilities to determine the specific cause of the problem.

2. How can I troubleshoot software conflicts on my Dell Inspiron 6400?

To troubleshoot software conflicts on your Dell Inspiron 6400, you can start by closing any unnecessary programs and running a virus scan. If the issue persists, you can also try performing a clean boot to identify any conflicting software, or reinstalling the operating system.

3. How do I update the drivers on my Dell Inspiron 6400?

To update the drivers on your Dell Inspiron 6400, you can go to the Dell website and enter your specific model number to find and download the latest drivers. Alternatively, you can use a driver update software to automatically scan and update all necessary drivers.

4. What should I do if my Dell Inspiron 6400 continues to lock up after troubleshooting?

If your Dell Inspiron 6400 continues to lock up even after troubleshooting, it is possible that there is a hardware issue. In this case, it is recommended to contact Dell customer support for further assistance or bring your laptop to a certified technician for repairs.

5. Can I prevent my Dell Inspiron 6400 from locking up in the future?

While it is impossible to guarantee that your Dell Inspiron 6400 will never lock up again, there are some steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of it happening. This includes keeping your software and drivers up to date, regularly cleaning out any dust from the internal components, and avoiding running too many programs at once.