Magnetic Flux and Induced Current

In summary, the motion of the magnet in part a is retarded because there is an induced current in the ring, and the magnet's motion is unaffected by the ring in part b.
Nivlac2425

Homework Statement

The drawing shows a bar magnet falling through a metal ring. In part a the ring is solid all the way around, but in part b it has been cut through. (a) Explain why the motion of the magnet in part a is retarded when the magnet is above the ring and below the ring as well. (b) Explain why the motion of the magnet is unaffected by the ring in part b.

2v3sew9.jpg

Homework Equations

Lenz's Law
Right hand rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that since the magnet is falling, the ring will feel a magnetic flux when the magnet is above and below the ring because the magnetic field is either increasing or decreasing. Since there is magnetic flux, an induced emf, and therefore an induced current flows through the ring whose direction is predicted by Lenz's Law and the right hand rule.
Knowing this, I can answer (b) because since the ring is cut, there is no current flowing through it so it doesn't affect the magnet's motion.

But my question is how does the induced current alter the motion of the magnet in part a? I can't seem to figure out how the induced current will cause the change in motion.

Thanks everyone who can help me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
The induced current in the ring acts like an electromagnet and causes a magnetic field that opposes the motion of the magnet. You can figure out the direction of the magnetic field using the hand rules, or just realize that it can't be increasing the speed of the magnet because that would be creating energy.

It is easy to see this experimentally. Tape the middle of a long thread onto a short piece of copper pipe (or a copper joint fitting from a hardware store). Use the threads to hang the copper in a doorway or something so that it is free to swing in one dimension along the axis of the pipe. Then you need a magnet thin enough to fit into the tube. As you push it in and pull it out, you will see that it has an attraction to the copper ring.

So the only opposition to the motion is the attraction to the ring? Or is there something else that the ring does?
I'm still not toooo clear on this.

Thanks.

Repulsion. The ring is an electromagnet with polarity in reverse of the permanent magnet.

So as the magnet approaches the ring, it will feel repulsion from the electromagnet because of the induced current, and as it continues to fall below the ring, it will feel an attraction to the electromagnet?
Does that obey energy conservation?
Thank you for your explanation!

That attraction sounds a bit tricky until you remember that nothing happens unless the magnet is moving so its flux lines cut through the conductor. So this effect always converts kinetic energy into heat. They use it in exercise bikes.

I see, so the magnet's motion is dampened because its kinetic energy was converted into other forms.

Thank you for helping me out!

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measurement of the total amount of magnetic field passing through a specific area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of tesla meters squared (Tm²).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength (B) by the area (A) that it passes through at a perpendicular angle. The equation is Φ = B x A.

3. What is induced current?

Induced current is an electric current that is created in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This current flows in the opposite direction of the changing magnetic field and can be used to generate electricity.

4. How is induced current related to magnetic flux?

Induced current is directly proportional to the rate at which magnetic flux changes. This means that the faster the magnetic flux changes, the greater the induced current will be.

5. What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that the magnitude of the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed circuit is equal to the negative rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit. This law helps to explain the relationship between magnetic flux and induced current.