Electrostatics problem inslator and a conductor problem

In summary, the homework statement is discussing how two infinite thin sheets of charge are placed perpendicular to the x axis. The surface charge densities of the two plates are 8.5 C/m2 and 1.5 C/m2. Near the plate with the lower surface charge density is a think conducting metal plate with a -3.0 C/m surface charge density. Find the magnitude of the field at the origin.
koab1mjr

Homework Statement

A. Two infinite thin sheets of charge are placed perpendicular to the x axis. The surface charge densities of the two plates are (SC density 1 = 8.5 C/M2) and (SC density 2 = 1.5 C/M2. Placed near plate 2 is a think conducting metal plate with a (SC density of -3.0 C/M) Find the magnitude of the field at the origin

problem has a diagram

d = 60 cm

plate 1 (2d space separation) origin (d space separation) plate of thickness d (d space separation) plate 2

B. what is the surface charge density on the right side of the conducting plate?

Homework Equations

The only equation needed is the E field formula for infinite plates which is surface charge density/ 2 * permitivity constant

The Attempt at a Solution

a.
I was applying superposition to this problem realizing that the conductor will be a different formula of surface charge density/ permitivity constant. With this route I got 4.802e11N/C for plate 1 E field, 8.47e10N/C for plate 2's e field and 3.389e11N/C for the conducting plate. Adding them together gave me 2.26e11N/C. The correct answer is 5.65e11N/C. I noticed that if i disregard the plate all together it works out but it might be a coincidence and I do not understand why which is why I am posing the question on the board.

The conducting plate is generating a field and I know the charges will shift to respond to the charged plate to the right of it. But its stronger than that plate and should still be generating a field. Not sure why you would just ignore it any help would be much appreciated.

b.
Since I have been stuck on part a.
no clue on how to break this down but I assume its having the conductor shift charge to keep its center neutral but I am not sure how to go about doing that. I tried calculating the net field experienced by the plate in the center. Not sure if this is correct

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming my lack of response is for the lack of the equations and stuff

[..P..]------------------------[...Con...]-----------[..P..]
[..l...]------------------------[..ducting...]-----------[..l...]
[..a..]------------------------[...metal...]------------[.a...]
[..t...]------------------------[...p...]------------[..t...]
[..e..]------------------------[...l...]------------[..e..]
[...]------------------------[...a...]------------[...]
[...] ------2d-------*---d---[...t...]----d-------[...]
[.1...]------------------------[...e...]------------[..2..]
[...]------------------------[.....]------------[...]
[...]------------------------[.....]------------[...]
[...]------------------------[----d-----]------------[...]

[tex]\sigma[/tex]1 = 8.5 C/m2
[tex]\sigma[/tex]2 = 1.5 C/m2
[tex]\sigma[/tex]metal plate = -3.0 C/m2
d = 60 cm

Work Formulas

E = [tex]sigma[\tex] / 2 [tex]epsilon[/tex] 0 <-----For Insulating plate
E = [tex]sigma[\tex] / [tex]epsilon[/tex] 0 <----- For Conducting plate

hopefully this is a little better I need to find the field strength at point * and I need to find the [tex]\sigma[/tex]right side of metal plate

Last edited:
I am sure this problem is within the realm of ability the homework helpers here. Yet no one has answered. If there is an issue with it please let me know what it is and I will try and fix it.

Not sure why no one has answered I have seen post addressed within the hour

what gives!

1. What is the difference between an insulator and a conductor?

An insulator is a material that does not allow electrons to move freely through it, while a conductor is a material that allows electrons to move easily. Insulators have high resistance to electric current, while conductors have low resistance.

2. How does an insulator affect an electrostatics problem?

Insulators prevent the flow of electric current, so they can be used to contain or redirect charges in an electrostatics problem. They can also be used to create a barrier between two conductors in order to prevent the flow of electric current between them.

3. Can an insulator become a conductor?

Yes, under certain conditions, an insulator can become a conductor. This can happen if the insulator is subjected to high voltage or high temperatures, which can cause it to lose its insulating properties and allow current to flow through it.

4. How does a conductor affect an electrostatics problem?

Conductors allow charges to move freely, so they can be used to redistribute charges in an electrostatics problem. They can also be used to ground a charge, which means they provide a path for excess charges to flow into the Earth.

5. Can a conductor become an insulator?

Yes, a conductor can become an insulator if it is coated with or surrounded by a material with high resistance, such as an insulator. This can prevent the flow of current through the conductor and effectively turn it into an insulator.