Three spheres attached by conducting wire

In summary, the problem involves three conducting spheres connected by thin wires with large distances between them. The electric field on the surface of the sphere with radius a is given as E_a and the total charge of the system is to be found. To do this, Gauss's Law is applied to find the charge of one sphere and then the relationship between one sphere and the total charge is used to solve for Q. The second part of the problem involves finding the work required to bring a small charge q from infinity to the sphere with radius b, which can be calculated using the difference in potential energies. Overall, the assumption is made that the effects of spheres a and c on the potential of q are negligible and they all have the same potential since they
valarking
Homework Statement

Three conducting spheres of radii a, b and c, respectively, are connected by negligibly
thin conducting wires as shown in figure 4. Distances between spheres are much larger
than their sizes. The electric field on the surface of the sphere of radius a is measured to
be equal to [tex]E_a[/tex]. What is the total charge Q that this system of three spheres holds? How
much work do we have to do to bring a very small charge q from infinity to the sphere of
radius b?

http://www.vkgfx.com/physics/fig4.jpg

The attempt at a solution

This one I wasn't so sure about. In order to find the total charge, I first applied Gauss's Law to find the charge of one sphere, A, given the electric field on its surface. So [tex]\oint {\vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A}} = \frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex] is used to get:
[tex]4\pi{a^2}E_a = \frac{q_a}{\epsilon_0}[/tex], or [tex]q_a = 4\pi{a^2}\epsilon_0{E_a}[/tex].

To get the relationship between one sphere and the total charge in a system of conducting connected spheres, I used this equation, which I'm not so sure about.
[tex]q_A = \frac{Qa}{a+b+c}[/tex]
I'm not sure if the radii should be squared.

Solving for Q gives:
[tex]Q = \frac{{a}E_a}{k_e}(a+b+c)[/tex]

Now for the second part, again I wasn't sure of this. But you could say the work going from infinitely far to right at sphere B would be the difference in potential energies.
So:
[tex]k_e\frac{q{q_b}}{b} - k_e\frac{q{q_b}}{\infty}[/tex]
where the infinity cancels out the second fraction and leaves:
[tex]k_e\frac{q{q_b}}{b}[/tex]
as the answer.
Plugging in b's charge gives:
[tex]\frac{k_e{q}{Q}}{a+b+c}[/tex]

I believe that any effect a or c would have on charge q's potential would be small enough not to matter. I am correct in this assumption?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The spheres are connected by conductors - so they have the same potential.
Figure out the potential on sphere a, then use that to find the charges on the others.

I would like to provide some clarification and possible corrections to your solution. First, your use of Gauss's Law to find the charge on one sphere is correct. However, the equation q_A = \frac{Qa}{a+b+c} is not applicable in this case. This equation is used to find the charge on one sphere in a system of charged spheres that are not connected by conductive wires. In this case, since the spheres are connected by conductive wires, they will have the same potential and thus the same charge distribution. Therefore, the total charge Q can simply be found by summing the charges on each sphere, which is Q = q_a + q_b + q_c.

Secondly, for the second part of the question, the work required to bring a small charge q from infinity to the surface of sphere b would be given by the equation:
W = k_e\frac{q{q_b}}{b} - k_e\frac{q{\infty}}{\infty} = k_e\frac{q{q_b}}{b}
since the potential at infinity is taken to be zero. Therefore, the work required would simply be k_e\frac{q{q_b}}{b}.

In regards to your assumption about the effect of spheres a and c on the potential of sphere b, it is correct that their effect would be negligible since the distances between the spheres are much larger than their sizes. This can also be seen from the fact that the work required to bring a charge from infinity to the surface of sphere b is only dependent on the charge and the distance b, and not on the charges or distances of the other spheres.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and provides a more accurate solution to the problem.

1. How do the spheres behave when they are attached by conducting wire?

The spheres will all have the same charge and will repel each other due to electrostatic forces. This is because the charge is evenly distributed across the conducting wire.

2. Can the spheres have different charges when attached by conducting wire?

No, the spheres will have the same charge since they are connected by a conducting wire. This allows for the charge to distribute evenly across all three spheres.

3. What happens if one of the spheres is removed from the conducting wire?

If one of the spheres is removed from the conducting wire, the remaining two spheres will still have the same charge and will continue to repel each other. The removed sphere will also retain the charge it had when it was attached to the wire.

4. How does the distance between the spheres affect their behavior?

The closer the spheres are to each other, the stronger the repulsive force between them will be. Similarly, the farther apart they are, the weaker the force will be. This is because the strength of the electrostatic force decreases with distance.

5. Can the spheres have different sizes and still exhibit the same behavior when attached by conducting wire?

Yes, the size of the spheres does not affect their behavior when attached by conducting wire. As long as they are all connected by the same wire and have the same charge, they will still repel each other. However, the strength of the repulsive force may vary depending on the size of the spheres.