Fermi wave vector compared to 1st Brilloin zone.

The values of kf and 1st BZ dimensions are not really small because they are in reciprocal space, which deals with wave vectors and not physical distances. In summary, when calculating kf for a=5 Angstrom and n=3 in a 2D square lattice, the magnitude of kf is 8.7x10^9 m^-1 and it can be compared with the dimension of the 1st Brillouin zone, which is 6.3x10^9 m^-1. The values may seem large, but they are correct in proportion and in reciprocal space.
philip041
For a = 5Angstrom and n = 3 calculate kf and compare its magnitude with the dimension of the Brillouin zone, (all in 2D, square lattice).

Relevant eqn:

kf = (2*pi*n)^1/2

Here is my solution:

kf = (2*pi* (3/a^2))^1/2
= ((6*pi)^1/2)/a
=8.7x10^9 m^-1

1st BZ

= (2*pi/a)*1/2

= pi/a = 6.3x10^9 m^-1

Are the wave vectors and 1st BZ dimensions meant to be massive? I guess so as they are 1/(a really small number).

Do these values sound correct, to me they seem right in proportion, but the fact they are not really small worries me. When you deal with reciprical space does that mean big numbers?

Also my other big worry is that in kf = (2*pi*n)^1/2, n=m/A, where m=number of electrons and A = unit area. Should I really have taken the question to mean m=3 not n=3, so that I can put the values of a in?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the wave vectors and 1st BZ dimensions are meant to be massive as they are inversely proportional to the lattice constant. The values you have obtained seem correct. You are right that n=m/A, where m is the number of electrons and A is the unit area. So in this case n=3 and a=5 Angstrom. Thus, your answer is correct.

1. What is the definition of Fermi wave vector?

The Fermi wave vector, also known as the Fermi momentum, is a concept in solid-state physics that describes the maximum momentum of an electron at the Fermi level in a material. It is a measure of the highest occupied energy state in a solid.

2. How is the Fermi wave vector related to the 1st Brillouin zone?

The Fermi wave vector is related to the 1st Brillouin zone, or the first Brillouin zone, by the boundary of the zone. The boundary of the 1st Brillouin zone is defined by the points where the Fermi wave vector intersects the energy dispersion curve of a material. This means that the Fermi wave vector is the highest momentum state within the 1st Brillouin zone.

3. What is the significance of the Fermi wave vector compared to the 1st Brillouin zone?

The Fermi wave vector and the 1st Brillouin zone are both important concepts in solid-state physics. The Fermi wave vector represents the maximum momentum of an electron in a material, while the 1st Brillouin zone describes the range of allowed energies and momenta for electrons in a crystal lattice. Together, they provide valuable information about the behavior of electrons in a material.

4. How is the Fermi wave vector calculated?

The Fermi wave vector can be calculated using the formula kF = (3π2n)1/3, where n is the electron density of the material. This formula is derived from the Fermi-Dirac distribution, which describes the distribution of electrons at the Fermi level.

5. Can the Fermi wave vector change in a material?

Yes, the Fermi wave vector can change in a material. It is dependent on the electron density, which can vary depending on factors such as temperature and external influences. Additionally, the Fermi wave vector can also be affected by changes in the crystal structure or composition of the material.