Highest force is at ZERO speed ?

In summary: Its sort of the same as if I crashed into a car with my car, there would be a lot of damage, however if the car that I crashed into was bolted down, there would be more damage to both cars.
waynexk8
highest force is at ZERO speed ?

Hi all,

I say you can use more force on a non movable object than an object that is you’re RM, which is the maximum weight you can lift one time 1RM. Who is right, and is there an equation to prove this.

The "highest force" as I suggested is at ZERO speed. That is simply indicative that if you allow something to move, the amount of force you can generate against it will decline, or you will have to attempt to accelerate it (if it has mass that is).

The 1RM of a movement will produce slightly less force than the maximal voluntary isometric contraction, as the 1RM is dynamic rather than static or non movable.

Example, an athlete's max squat 200kg, at 201kg, the athlete would not be able to move the bar; however, if he applied max effort the maximal voluntary isometric contraction force would be slightly greater than the force produced during the successful 1RM lift.

Wayne

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Wayne,

Good question.
Strictly speaking from a mechanics approach the definition of force is: force=mass x acceleration
The force obtained can then be multiplied by a coefficient of friction. When an object is at rest it has a static friction, when it is in motion, it has a kinetic friction (which is generally smaller than static friction). In other words, as long as the athlete does not overcome the (force of static friction + force), the weight will not move. Once the weight is in motion, the force of kinetic friction(instead of static friction) is added to the force and the weight will move more freely. So yes, as long as the weight is not in motion, the force required to move it is greater.

However, if you calculate work, lifting the weight as far as you can will prove to be far more beneficial, as you will multiply the force by the distance. Anyways this is pretty simplified but I hope it helps. Train safely!

Hi and thx,

Novolks said:
Hi Wayne,

Good question.

Strictly speaking from a mechanics approach the definition of force is: force=mass x acceleration The force obtained can then be multiplied by a coefficient of friction. When an object is at rest it has a static friction, when it is in motion, it has a kinetic friction (which is generally smaller than static friction). In other words, as long as the athlete does not overcome the (force of static friction + force), the weight will not move. Once the weight is in motion, the force of kinetic friction(instead of static friction) is added to the force and the weight will move more freely. So yes, as long as the weight is not in motion, the force required to move it is greater.

See what you are saying there, it would take 200.5kg to move the weight, but only 200kg to keep it moving.

Novolks said:
However, if you calculate work, lifting the weight as far as you can will prove to be far more beneficial, as you will multiply the force by the distance. Anyways this is pretty simplified but I hope it helps. Train safely!

Could we forget about multiplying the force by the distance for now.

However, if my max lift was 200kg on a dynamic moving object, but if I applied my max force/strength on a non moving static object, in my opinion my max force/strength would be more, not much more, but if we were on a force place I could register say ? 3kg more than I did on the dynamic moving object, would you agree ?

Its sort of the same as if I crashed into a car with my car, there would be a lot of damage, however if the car that I crashed into was bolted down, there would be more damage to both cars

Hope I am explaining right.

Wayne

1. What is the significance of "highest force at zero speed"?

The concept of "highest force at zero speed" refers to the maximum force that can be exerted on an object when it is not in motion. This is also known as the static frictional force, and it is the force required to overcome the resistance of an object to start moving.

2. Why is the highest force at zero speed important in physics?

In physics, the concept of highest force at zero speed is important because it helps us understand the behavior of objects at rest and the factors that influence their motion. It also plays a crucial role in determining the minimum force required to move an object and the maximum force that can be exerted on an object without causing it to move.

3. How is the highest force at zero speed calculated?

The highest force at zero speed can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force is equal to the weight of the object, and the coefficient of friction is a constant that depends on the surface and materials in contact.

4. What factors affect the highest force at zero speed?

The highest force at zero speed can be influenced by several factors, including the weight of the object, the coefficient of friction, and the surface area and type of materials in contact. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance can also affect the highest force at zero speed.

5. Can the highest force at zero speed be greater than the force applied?

No, the highest force at zero speed cannot be greater than the force applied. The force of friction can only reach its maximum value when the object is on the verge of motion. If the force applied is greater than the maximum frictional force, the object will start to move and the force of friction will decrease accordingly.