Awesome I'm as smart as a high schooler

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, a 9th-12th grader thought a math field day was a day where elementary schoolers played in the fields and at the end of the day got to shoot off their model rockets.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Our university had its Math field day yesterday and i volunteered for some extra credit in a math class I am taking. Boy did I feel out of my element as a physics student. The competition i was proctoring, I could barely answer half the questions! I feel like trying to get our department to do a physics field day so i can regain my confidence as someone who is supposedly educated. Then again I don't think I've ever heard of a physics field day, have YOU?

Theres no real point to this thread other then to pat myself on the back for being as smart as a high schooler.

Ok to be fair, a 9th-12th grader.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of a math field day either. Please don't tell me they used some really geeky interpretation of the term "field" to pull it off. :rolleyes:

I don't actually know what a field day is :)

It's the thing you do when in elementary school when you spend a day playing in the fields...we had things like sack races, three-legged races, egg tosses, some more serious soccer games and long jump, hurdles, etc. type sports, and at the end of the day, the 6th graders got to fire off their model rockets they built in science class. So, field day means getting to play out on a field. I can't imagine any way that math would fit with that theme, unless they set up booths outside or something.

You should ask for a chess field day.
Everyone could dress up in white or black, become the chess pieces, and play team chess (out in a field of course).

TheStatutoryApe said:
You should ask for a chess field day.
Everyone could dress up in white or black, become the chess pieces, and play team chess (out in a field of course).

That would be pretty neat...that's something I'd show up to watch (I don't know how to play chess, so wouldn't participate unless someone else called the moves...it would be fun to chase the other pieces off the board if I landed on their space to eliminate them though. :biggrin:)

Moonbear said:
That would be pretty neat...that's something I'd show up to watch (I don't know how to play chess, so wouldn't participate unless someone else called the moves...it would be fun to chase the other pieces off the board if I landed on their space to eliminate them though. :biggrin:)

I think wooden swords would be a given.

In the Navy a field day is when the ship or barracks gets a thorough cleaning.

Integral said:
In the Navy a field day is when the ship or barracks gets a thorough cleaning.

I think I'll stick with MB's civilian version.

1. What does it mean to be "as smart as a high schooler"?

Being "as smart as a high schooler" means that you have a similar level of intelligence and knowledge as the average high school student. It does not necessarily mean that you have the same level of maturity or life experience as a high schooler.

2. Is it possible for an adult to be as smart as a high schooler?

Yes, it is possible for an adult to have the same level of intelligence and knowledge as a high schooler. Intellect and intelligence are not limited by age, and adults can continue to learn and improve their cognitive abilities.

3. How can someone become as smart as a high schooler?

The key to becoming as smart as a high schooler is to continue learning and challenging yourself. This can be done through reading, taking courses, engaging in intellectual discussions, and practicing critical thinking skills.

4. Are there any drawbacks to being as smart as a high schooler?

There are no inherent drawbacks to being as smart as a high schooler. However, some people may feel pressure or expectations to perform at a certain level due to their perceived intelligence.

5. How can being as smart as a high schooler benefit someone?

Being as smart as a high schooler can benefit someone in many ways. It can open up opportunities for higher education, career advancements, and personal growth. It can also lead to a deeper understanding and appreciation of the world around us.