Creating a Long-Lasting Static Charge to Attract Dust

In summary, the conversation is about creating a lasting static charge on a surface to attract dust and small particles. The suggestions include using insulating tape or a dielectric with a high breakdown voltage, and removing dust to restore the charge. The person is unsure about the materials and methods to use and apologizes for their lack of knowledge.
danem
hi,
i have some questions about static charges and to see if anyone is able to help me with an experiment.
i am pretty naive about this stuff, so please excuse my ignorance if i ask you any silly questions in response to suggestions.
i want to create some sort of charge on a surface (about 1m x 2m approx) that will attract dust and similarly small particles in a normal environment. the thing about it is that it would need to be lasting - a static charge tends to be short lived when induced through friction etc.
does anyone have any ideas what i could do/make/find/use to do this??
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The to avoid the discharge put lots of insulating tape on it...or a thick layer of oil (but that will absorb dust).

What I'm asking you to do actually is to put a good dielectric with a high breakdown voltage on that charge source (cover it up with that).

The intensity of charge will decrease as dust accumulates, charge will again be restored if you remove the dust.

thanks for your reply.
where should the insulating tape go? and what material would be best to use?
oil will be no good as it needs to be dry.
so the insulating tape goes around something, but what? and I'm not sure what my charge source could be, or how it would be attached to the surface.
i'm sorry my questions might be a bit naive!
thanks again.
dane

1. How do I create a long-lasting static charge?

To create a long-lasting static charge, you will need two materials that have different levels of electrical conductivity. Rubbing these materials against each other, or against other objects, will create a transfer of electrons which results in a static charge. The charge can be increased by increasing the rubbing motion or by using materials with higher levels of electrical conductivity.

2. What materials are best for creating a static charge?

Materials with low electrical conductivity, such as rubber, plastic, and certain types of cloth, are ideal for creating a static charge. Some materials, such as wool, fur, and balloons, have a higher level of electrical conductivity and can also be used to create a static charge.

3. Can I attract dust using a static charge?

Yes, a static charge can attract dust particles. Dust particles are typically negatively charged, so by creating a positive static charge, you can attract and collect dust particles onto a surface.

4. How long does a static charge last?

The duration of a static charge depends on several factors, including the materials used, the level of rubbing or friction, and the humidity in the surrounding environment. In a dry environment, a static charge can last for several hours, but in a humid environment, it may dissipate quickly.

5. How can I make a static charge last longer?

To make a static charge last longer, you can use materials with higher levels of electrical conductivity, such as metal or aluminum foil, which can hold a charge for a longer period. You can also reduce the humidity in the environment, as high levels of humidity can cause a static charge to dissipate more quickly.