Pressure Drop Due to Combining Flow in a Water Pipe System

In summary, the conversation revolved around determining the pressure drop due to fittings such as Tees and Y's with multiple flows. The Hazen Williams method and the Darcy-Weisbach/Colebrook method were discussed, with the latter using 'K' values for resistance coefficients. The table in NFPA 14 was mentioned, with size being the determining factor for fittings. For a Tee, it was suggested to use 2 times the loss of a 90° elbow, while for a Y, it was suggested to model it as two elbows of varying angles. The foot values for each fitting were provided, based on the NFPA 14 guidelines. It was confirmed that these values are equivalent hydraulic radiuses, used in the
metalhead10
Hello,

I am wondering how to determine the pressure drop due to fittings such as Tees and "Y's" when there are two flows coming in and one coming out. So for example there is a Tee where there are two flows coming in opposite directions (180 degrees from one another) and they combine and exit through the branch. It is the same story for the Y. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you looking for the Hazen Williams values?

Any values/method would be useful. I have been using the Darcy-Weisbach/Colebrook method which uses "K" values for representative resistance coefficients for fittings. The Hazen Williams uses a friction factor but from what I can tell it is just for straight pipe and I can't find anything for fittings. I could be wrong. Let me know what you think.

If you have size I can give you foot equivalents for r but if you need an equation I can't help. The table in NFPA 14 is based on size alone.

Ok, so I have the following fittings:

10" Tee
6" Tee
10" Y
6" Y

They are all equal flow with them all going 2 into 1.

If you could scan that table that would be great.

Thanks again!

For a tee, you can think of it as 2 times the loss of a 90° elbow to get an approximation. Crane's does list a tee with flow out of the branch as having a [tex]K= 60*f_t[/tex] where [tex]f_t[/tex] is a friction coefficient based on clean pipe and the size of the pipe.

A Y will be tougher but I would still model it as two elbows of varying angles.

A 10" Tee has a foot value of 50.
A 6" Tee has a foot value of 30.
A 10" Y has a foot value of 16
and a 6" Y has a foot value of 9.

ref: NFPA 14.5.10.1 (2006 ed.)

Ok so just to confirm, those values are "R" values which are equivalent hydraulic radiuses? Like does the table call them something else or just specificially "R" and that they are used in the Hazen Williams equation?

You're there. The friction coefficient for the radius of the pipe is applied to the 'equivalent foot value' of the fitting to obtain pressure and flow rates.

1. What is pressure drop due to combining flow in a water pipe system?

The pressure drop due to combining flow in a water pipe system refers to the decrease in pressure that occurs when two or more water streams come together in a pipe. This can happen when water from multiple sources or branches of a pipe system merge into one main pipe.

2. Why does pressure drop occur in a water pipe system?

Pressure drop occurs in a water pipe system due to friction between the water and the inner walls of the pipe. As water flows through the pipe, it experiences resistance from the pipe's surface, which causes a decrease in pressure. Additionally, when multiple water streams combine, the increased flow rate can also lead to a decrease in pressure.

3. How is pressure drop calculated in a water pipe system?

The pressure drop in a water pipe system can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as pipe diameter, flow rate, fluid density, and viscosity. The equation can be solved using various methods, including hand calculations, spreadsheets, or specialized software.

4. What factors can affect pressure drop in a water pipe system?

There are several factors that can affect pressure drop in a water pipe system, including the pipe's material, diameter, and length, the fluid's viscosity and density, and the flow rate. Changes in any of these factors can impact the pressure drop, which is why it is essential to consider them when designing a pipe system.

5. How can pressure drop be minimized in a water pipe system?

To minimize pressure drop in a water pipe system, engineers can use various strategies such as increasing the pipe's diameter, reducing the length of the pipe, or using smoother materials for the pipe's interior surface. Additionally, controlling the flow rate and avoiding sudden changes in pipe direction can also help reduce pressure drop.