Gibbs energy of formation and electrolysis efficiency

In summary, the Gibbs energy of formation is the same as the electrical input energy required to disassociate one mole of water. This can be understood through the application of the first law of thermodynamics and Faraday's Law, which shows the direct relationship between voltage and Gibbs free energy. This also explains why the voltage obtained from calculations is usually higher than the theoretical value, due to losses.
nuby
Hello -

I'm having some problems understanding Gibbs energy of formation, and how it's applied to electrolysis. So, I'm hoping someone can explain what I'm doing wrong..

According to his site: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/thermo/electrol.html (image)

The change in the Gibbs energy of formation is the same as the electrical input energy required to disassociate one mole of water.. Which I've been told isn't correct. But it seemed to work with the following calculations/assumptions

Here's what I did...

According to Faraday law:

107.205 Amps in a cell over one hour should generate 73.338 Liters of (2 moles H2 and 1 mole O2) at 100 percent efficiency (at 25C 101.325 kPa)

Then I tried using the "Gibbs Energy of Formation" to double check the Faraday efficiency. With information from: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu.../electrol.html At 25C and 101.325 kPa the change in Gibbs Energy of formation is 237.18 kilojoules / mol ...

Which I assumed meant 237.18 (kJ / mol) of electrical input energy is required to convert 1 mole of H2O into 1 mole of H2 gas and a 1/2 mole of O2 gas (at 25C and 101.325 kPa) at 100 percent efficiency.

So with the above Faraday calculations: 107.205 Amps continuous for 1 Hour will create 2 moles of H2 and 1 mole of O2 gas (3 moles total), which has a volume of 73.338 Liters.

Then I assumed if I multiply the Gibbs Free Energy of formation (energy used to create 1.5 moles of gas) by 2, I should have the actual energy required for 3 moles of gas (at 100 percent efficiency, in the above conditions).

237.18 kJ * 2 = 474.36 kJ

Convert 474.36 kJ to Watts:

474360 Joules / 3600 seconds = 131.7666 Watts

Then I put Faraday and "Gibbs" efficiency together..

131.7666 Watts = 107.204 Amp * Volts

So, V = (131.7666 W) / (107.204 A)

V = 1.23 VoltsWhich seems to imply deltaG is related to the electrical input energy required to disassociate 1 mole of water (at 25C 101.325 kPa)r. Is this right? If not, can you explain what I'm doing?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Anyone?

nuby said:
Which seems to imply deltaG is related to the electrical input energy required to disassociate 1 mole of water...

Thats because it is. You can think of the gibbs free energy as the energy required to split the water molecules apart or the energy released when they are combined (enthalpy of formation). To understand this more clearly with electrical work we can apply the first law of thermodynamics and Faraday's Law and take 1 mole of H2O as our system.

Energy into H2O = Energy used by breaking H2O bonds

Voltage x Current = Gibbs Free Energy (dG)

Since we know that the current is proportional to the number of electrons being redoxed in the reaction and that electrical charge is quantized, we can state that I = n x F. F is Faraday's constant (#moles x electron charge) and n is the number of electrons being transferred in the reaction (1 electron from each H). So,

V x n x F = dG

Solving for Voltage,

V = dG/nF = 1.23V (at STP)

From this relationship you can see that the electrical input is directly proportional to the gibbs free energy. More importantly, the current is directly proportional to the production rate of the reaction. In reality, the voltage will always be higher than 1.23V do to losses.

1. What is Gibbs energy of formation?

The Gibbs energy of formation is a measure of the change in free energy that occurs when a compound is formed from its constituent elements at a standard state of temperature and pressure. It is a thermodynamic quantity that helps to determine the stability of a compound.

2. How is Gibbs energy of formation calculated?

The Gibbs energy of formation can be calculated using the standard free energy of formation (ΔG°f) of the compound and the standard free energy of formation of its constituent elements. The equation is ΔG°f = ΣνiΔG°f,i, where νi is the stoichiometric coefficient of each element in the compound.

3. Why is Gibbs energy of formation important in chemistry?

Gibbs energy of formation is important because it helps to predict whether a chemical reaction will occur spontaneously or not. If the Gibbs energy of formation is negative, the reaction is thermodynamically favorable and will occur spontaneously. If it is positive, the reaction will not occur spontaneously.

4. What is electrolysis efficiency?

Electrolysis efficiency is a measure of the amount of electrical energy used in a process compared to the amount of chemical energy produced. It is calculated by dividing the amount of chemical energy produced by the amount of electrical energy used and multiplying by 100%.

5. How does Gibbs energy of formation affect electrolysis efficiency?

The Gibbs energy of formation can affect electrolysis efficiency because it determines the amount of electrical energy required to produce a certain amount of chemical energy. A compound with a more negative Gibbs energy of formation will require less electrical energy for electrolysis and will therefore have a higher efficiency compared to a compound with a less negative value.