What is the most affordable and flexible foam for shock absorption?

In summary, the speaker is new to the forum and seeking advice on the most shock absorbent material for a project. They prefer something flexible and affordable, and have found some options on a website, but are unsure which is the best. They specify that they need it for absorbing impacts like a baseball hitting a window.
herkeyhawk3
Hey there,

I'm new to the forums, while I did get an A in my physics class, in no way do I consider myself an expert. That's why I figure you guys could answer my question best.

I am working on a project and I was wondering what the most shock absorbent material is that I could purchase for a relatively low price. I need it to be kind of like a foam, more specifically something that is easily flexible. I was looking at this site, http://www.thefoamfactory.com, and while I found some good products I just don't know which is best.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Seriously though, what kind of impact are you trying to absorb?

Last edited by a moderator:
An impact like a baseball hit at a window, more specifically.

1. What is the most shock absorbant material?

The most shock absorbant material is currently considered to be a type of foam known as polyurethane. It is commonly used in products such as mattresses, car bumpers, and shoe insoles.

2. How does the shock absorbant material work?

Shock absorbant materials work by absorbing and dissipating energy from an impact or vibration. In the case of polyurethane foam, its open-cell structure allows it to compress and release air, effectively absorbing the shock.

3. What makes polyurethane the most shock absorbant material?

Polyurethane has a unique combination of properties that make it highly shock absorbant. These include its low density, high elasticity, and ability to withstand repeated compressions without losing its shape.

4. Can any other materials compete with polyurethane as the most shock absorbant material?

There are other materials that can also provide high levels of shock absorption, such as silicone, rubber, and various types of gel. However, polyurethane remains a popular choice due to its cost-effectiveness and versatility in different applications.

5. Are there any downsides to using polyurethane as a shock absorbant material?

One potential downside of polyurethane foam is that it can degrade over time, especially when exposed to UV light or high temperatures. It can also release potentially harmful chemicals during production, so proper handling and disposal are important.