Calculating Spring Constant for Car Suspension | 1300 kg Vehicle Weight

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an automobile being mounted on four identical springs and how the springs are adjusted to achieve a frequency of 3 Hz for vertical oscillations. The equations used are w = (k/m)^(1/2) and k(total) = k1 + k2 + k3 + k4 = 4k. The mistake made is that w =/= f, instead w = 2πf.
synchronous

Homework Statement

An automobile can be considered to be mounted on four identical springs as far as vertical oscillations are concerned. The springs of a certain car are adjusted so that the oscillations have a frequency of 3 Hz.
(a) What is the spring constant of each spring if the mass of the car is 1300 kg and the weight is evenly distributed over the springs?

Homework Equations

w = (k/m)^(1/2)
k(total) = k1 + k2 + k3 + k4 = 4k

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the springs are arranged in a parallel fashion, I can add their individual spring constants for an overall constant. Since the springs are identical, I can rewrite the sum of constants as 4k. Then, using the first equation listed above I have:

3 = (4k/1300)^(1/2) and solving for k I found the solution to be 2925 N/m. What's wrong with my approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
w =/= f
w = 2πf
That's the only thing I can spot that's wrong. See if that gets you to the text-book's answer.

You're welcome. ^^

Last edited:
Dumb mistake on my part...thanks for the help...you're right on the money!

1. How do you calculate the spring constant for a car suspension?

The spring constant for a car suspension can be calculated by dividing the weight of the vehicle (in kilograms) by the displacement of the suspension (in meters).

2. Is the weight of the vehicle the only factor in determining the spring constant for a car suspension?

No, the displacement of the suspension also plays a role in calculating the spring constant. The more the suspension compresses, the higher the spring constant will be.

3. Can the spring constant for a car suspension change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on the type of suspension system and any adjustments made to the suspension, such as changing the type of springs used.

4. How does the spring constant affect the ride of the car?

The spring constant determines the stiffness of the suspension, which can affect the ride of the car. A higher spring constant will result in a stiffer suspension and a rougher ride, while a lower spring constant will result in a softer suspension and a smoother ride.

5. What is the typical range for the spring constant in a car suspension?

The spring constant for a car suspension can vary greatly depending on the type of suspension system and the weight of the vehicle. However, a typical range for passenger cars is between 100-200 N/m, while performance cars may have a higher spring constant in the range of 200-500 N/m.