Discovering the Science Behind Shiny Metals

• Thread starter annatar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metals
In summary, the metal is shiny because of the free electrons on its surface. The ability to make metal surfaces as very smooth surfaces also adds to the "shinyness" of the material.
annatar
Just want to make sure my understanding is correct...
Here it goes:

1. Metals have free electrons, which can be in a myriad of energy levels, including those corresponding to the full range of frequencies in the visible region of the spectrum.

2. Light shone on a piece of metal thus strongly absorbed by the free electrons on its surface.

3. Tiny currents are produced (why? Can it be said that the electrons are excited?), and the energy they carry is soon re-emitted as visible light

Thanks for your help :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are metals shiny? depends on the one looking at it...i do know that two specimens of the same metal will have differnet degrees of shiny...due to the surface texture ofthe metal...light is reflected by the surface of the metal..technically called Surfcae texture by ANSI/ASME B 46.1 standard...
so it ultimately depends upon the light source ( nothing going to be shiny in the dark..right) and the amount of reflection ofthe surface roughness

Ranger Mike said:
Why are metals shiny? depends on the one looking at it...i do know that two specimens of the same metal will have differnet degrees of shiny...due to the surface texture ofthe metal...light is reflected by the surface of the metal..technically called Surfcae texture by ANSI/ASME B 46.1 standard...
so it ultimately depends upon the light source ( nothing going to be shiny in the dark..right) and the amount of reflection ofthe surface roughness

Ok, ok...
Assuming adequate light and a piece of smooth metal, structurally why the metal is shinny?

Would it not be shiny in the dark if you could perceive the correct wavelenght, such as infrared reflection?

One of the main reasons why metals are shinny is the existence of conduction electrons, forming what is often called surface "plasmon". These conduction electrons are able to reflect light, especially in the visible spectrum.

The ability to make metal surfaces as very smooth surfaces also adds to the "shinyness" of the material.

Zz.

Last edited:
almost right...it is emperically a fact that a piece of metal with a surface patch finished to a surface roughness of 12 micro inch Ra ( Roughness Average 0 appears dull compared to a patch on the same piece of metal finished to a surface roughness of 112 Ra...the reason is the peaks and valleys on the 12 Microinch patch are a lot shorter than the peak and valley excurisons on the 112 Ra patch..the 112 Ra patch provides more sufaces of reflectivity and thus will reflect light better thna the better finished surface...also the SPACING between the peaks is greater on the 112 Ra patch

also the flatness of the specimen effects "shininess"

Last edited:
annatar...I'm doubtful any of the reasons you state are the reason for "shiny" metal... plastic is "shiny" too, so is paint...and if I rub a metal with some sandpaper it might be briefly very shiny then get dull via oxidation...and color also must play a part...

I suspect reflection mechanisms are what's really at play..
try wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_(physics)#Reflection_of_light

for a start...

Naty1 said:
annatar...I'm doubtful any of the reasons you state are the reason for "shiny" metal... plastic is "shiny" too, so is paint...and if I rub a metal with some sandpaper it might be briefly very shiny then get dull via oxidation...and color also must play a part...

I suspect reflection mechanisms are what's really at play..
try wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_(physics)#Reflection_of_light

for a start...

Maybe I should be specific : what is the origin of metallic luster?
How does their reflection mechanism makes them especially shiny?

1. Why do metals have a shiny appearance?

Metals have a shiny appearance due to their unique atomic structure. The outermost electrons of a metal atom are loosely bound and can easily move around. When light hits a metal surface, these free electrons absorb and then re-emit the light, giving metals their characteristic shine.

2. What makes metals reflect light so well?

Metals reflect light well because of their smooth and uniform surface. When light hits a metal surface, it is reflected in a consistent manner due to the regular arrangement of metal atoms. This reflection is what gives metals their shiny appearance.

3. Do all metals have the same level of shine?

No, not all metals have the same level of shine. Some metals, such as gold and silver, are highly reflective and have a bright shine. Others, like iron and copper, have a more muted shine. The level of shine depends on the specific properties and atomic structure of each metal.

4. Can metals lose their shine over time?

Yes, metals can lose their shine over time due to a process called oxidation. When metals are exposed to oxygen and moisture, a chemical reaction occurs that can create a dull, tarnished appearance. To prevent this, metals can be coated with a protective layer or regularly polished to maintain their shine.

5. Is there a way to make metals shine brighter?

Yes, there are several methods to make metals shine brighter. One way is to polish the metal surface to remove any oxidation or scratches. Another way is to coat the metal with a reflective material, such as a thin layer of silver or aluminum. Additionally, applying a clear topcoat can enhance the shine of metals by protecting them from oxidation and other factors that can dull their appearance.