ASME Useful Resource for Research?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of surveying existing research before beginning a new project, and asks for recommendations on reputable sources for research material. The speaker suggests utilizing databases and trade journals from organizations like ASME and AIAA. The challenge is knowing where to look among the many available sources.
Saladsamurai
I has occurred to me that when I go to research, I would first like to survey the research that has already been done in that particular area.

Does anyone have any experience with ASME in this regard? Or possibly with other organizations?

I use the databases that I have access to at school, but I thought maybe there were some others out there that are 'the standard'.

Thanks,
Casey

Engineering news on Phys.org
Like any large organization, the tough part is knowing where to look. ASME/SAE has some great information sources. Most notably are their trade journals like Journal of Turbomachinery, Journal of Heat Transfer (to name a couple) are really good sources.
http://catalog.asme.org/home.cfm?Category=PE
Like I mentioned, the problem is that there are so many out there it is tough to know what exists and where to look.

I have also found AIAA a good source for research material. But that is really pretty specific to aerospace applications.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is ASME and what does it stand for?

ASME stands for the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. It is a professional organization that promotes collaboration and knowledge sharing among mechanical engineers.

What is the ASME Digital Collection?

The ASME Digital Collection is a database of over 30,000 articles from ASME journals, conference proceedings, and e-books. It is a valuable resource for research in the field of mechanical engineering.

How can I access the ASME Digital Collection?

Access to the ASME Digital Collection is available through individual subscriptions or through institutional subscriptions at universities or companies.

What types of research can be found in the ASME Digital Collection?

The ASME Digital Collection contains research articles, case studies, and technical papers covering a wide range of topics in mechanical engineering including design, manufacturing, energy, and materials.

Are there any additional resources available through ASME?

Yes, ASME offers a variety of resources for research including conferences, webinars, and technical divisions that focus on specific areas of mechanical engineering. They also provide access to standards and codes that are widely used in the industry.