Exploring Silicon On Insulator (SOI): Benefits, Structure & More

In summary, the conversation discusses SOI (silicon on insulator), which is a sandwich structure with three layers: a handle layer, a buried oxide layer (SiO2), and a device layer. SOI has various benefits, including the ability to control the fabrication process through the insulator layer. It is also more expensive than a traditional bare silicon wafer. The conversation also mentions the potential impact of tunneling on insulation properties at smaller scales.
Goalie_Ca
Does anyone have any information about SOI. I've heard lots about it yet all i know of it, other than its benefits, is that instead of a metal on the oxide it uses a silicone. What is this silicone's structure, etc. Just some basic information about it would be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I assume you mean silicon oxide insulation?

- Warren

I believe it stands for silicon on insulator. Perhaps that's just the marketing name for it.

Just as an aside, how would tunneling affect the insulation properties as we get smaller. What type of scale would this effect start kicking in at?

SOI means silicon-on-insulator,it's a sandwich structure with three layers,i.e. bottom-up:handle layer/buried oxide layer(SiO2)/device layer

For more details about SOI ,please visit http://www.yole.fr/pagesAn/products/soi.asp [Broken]

If you want to know about SOI wafer clearly , please search photos with key words 'SOI mems' at google.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
SOI mean silicon on oxide. That is three later on top of each other. (Si)-(SiO2)-(Si)
We use silicon to build transistor, micromachines, etc.
So here, why not using a bare silicon, and use a SOI? What's the difference?
The difference is you can control the fabrication process by utilizing the insulator (oxide) layer.
And it is I think 3 times more expensive than the Si wafer.
Hope that helped,.

1. What is silicon on insulator (SOI) technology?

Silicon on insulator (SOI) technology is a type of semiconductor fabrication process where a layer of silicon is placed on top of an insulating material, such as silicon dioxide. This creates a thin layer of silicon that is isolated from the underlying substrate, resulting in improved performance and reduced power consumption for electronic devices.

2. What are the benefits of using SOI technology?

SOI technology offers several advantages over traditional silicon-based technology. These include improved performance, lower power consumption, and reduced parasitic capacitance. SOI also allows for better integration of different types of devices on a single chip, leading to smaller and more efficient electronic devices.

3. How is the structure of SOI different from traditional silicon-based technology?

The main difference in structure between SOI and traditional silicon-based technology is the presence of an insulating layer between the silicon layer and the underlying substrate. In traditional silicon-based technology, the substrate is made of silicon, while in SOI technology, the substrate is typically made of a different material, such as silicon dioxide or sapphire.

4. What types of electronic devices can benefit from SOI technology?

SOI technology is commonly used in the production of microprocessors, as well as other high-performance electronic devices such as memory chips, sensors, and power devices. It is also being explored for use in emerging technologies such as quantum computing and neuromorphic computing.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations with SOI technology?

While SOI technology offers many benefits, there are also some challenges and limitations to consider. One major challenge is the cost of production, which can be higher than traditional silicon-based technology. There are also limitations in the types of materials that can be used for the insulating layer, which can affect the performance and reliability of the devices. Additionally, SOI technology is still relatively new and may require further research and development to fully optimize its potential.