Solving Spring Constants with 7.50-kg Ball & 2 Springs

In summary, the problem involves a 7.50-kg ball placed on top of two springs with different initial lengths (35.0 cm and 25.0 cm). The shorter spring must support the ball when it is compressed by 0.05 m and the longer spring must support it when it is compressed by 0.15 m. To find the spring constant of the shorter spring, a free body diagram must be drawn and an expression for the distance of compression in terms of the ball's weight and the spring constant must be found.
dance_sg

Homework Statement

A 7.50-kg ball is placed on top of a spring with a spring constant of 475 N/m that has an initial length of 35.0 cm (h1). When the ball has reached its equilibrium position, it is supported by both springs at a height of 20.0 cm above the table (h3). If the shorter spring has an initial length of 25.0 cm, what is its spring constant?

Homework Equations

f=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

would i find the force for h1 then use that number and 25.0 cm (0.25m) to find the spring constant? or do i have to find the force of h1 and h2, add them up, then divide that nu,ber by0.25m to find k..

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a picture that goes with this? The description you gave is inadequate to help me figure out what is going on.

yes there is, i don't know how to upload the image tho. when i try it says invalid file type

When you reply to this thread, do you see the "Attach files" box under "Additional Options"?
Is your file one of "bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg m ms mw mws nb pdf png psd txt xls zip"? Is it perhaps too big?

ya i think its too big

im trying to make it work right now. i think it may!

i remade it on paint.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 388
OK, I think I understand now. One spring supports the 7.50-kg ball when it is compressed by 0.15 m. The other spring supports the 7.50-kg ball when it is compressed by 0.05 m.

Draw a free body diagram, put in all the forces and find an expression for the distance by which the spring is compressed in terms of the ball's weight and the spring constant.

What is the formula for solving spring constants?

The formula for solving spring constants is k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force applied, and x is the displacement of the spring.

How do you solve for the spring constant with a 7.50-kg ball and 2 springs?

To solve for the spring constant with a 7.50-kg ball and 2 springs, you will need to use the formula k = F/x. First, measure the displacement of the springs when the 7.50-kg ball is placed on top of them. Then, use the weight of the ball (7.50 kg) as the force applied in the formula. Plug in these values and solve for k to find the spring constant.

What units are used to measure spring constants?

The units used to measure spring constants are Newtons per meter (N/m) or kilograms per second squared (kg/s²).

How do I know if I have solved for the correct spring constant?

You can check if you have solved for the correct spring constant by comparing it to known values or by performing a test with different weights and measuring the displacement to see if it aligns with the calculated spring constant.

Can I use the same formula to solve for the spring constant with different weights and springs?

Yes, you can use the same formula to solve for the spring constant with different weights and springs as long as the force applied and displacement are accurately measured for each specific scenario.