What are some recommended textbooks for teaching myself physics?

In summary, the conversation was about someone looking for textbooks to teach themselves physics. The person has a limited background in the subject but is comfortable reading graduate level mathematical texts. They are interested in classical mechanics, electrodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. Recommendations were given for textbooks on each topic, including "Lectures on Physics" by Feynman, "Newtonian Mechanics" by French, "Principles of Electrodynamics" by Schwartz, and "Quantum Mechanics" by Shankar and Sakurai. The person plans on checking some of these out from the library.
Excoriate
I am looking for some textbooks in order to teach myself physics. My background in this area is rather limited. Many moons ago I did take a Physics C class as a junior in high school but beyond that I haven't really delved much into the subject.

The topics I am interested in are classical mechanics, electrodynamics, statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics. I am the kind of person who is comfortable reading graduate level mathematical texts (with limited prerequisites) who however isn't too comfortable physics.

Thanks in advance,

Excor.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll find threads on all those subjects in the "Science Book Discussion" section. My own recs would be:

Feynman, Lectures on Physics

Mechanics: French, Newtonian Mechanics (and also Vibrations and Waves); Fowles, Analytical Mechanics; Landau & Lifschitz, Mechanics

E&M: Scwhartz, Principles of Electrodynamics. Why not start there I think, but at a slightly lower level and with many worked examples: Nayfeh & Brussel, Electricity and Magnetism.

Stat Mech: I have a block. I like Fermi's thermodynamics book.

QM: The https://www.amazon.com/dp/0710099622/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (not the expanded 2nd edition); Shankar; Sakurai.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I will check a few of those out from the library and see how I do with them. Would something like statistic physics I & II by Kubo be good for stat. mech?

1. What makes a textbook "good" for learning physics?

A good textbook for physics should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, plenty of examples and practice problems, and relevant and up-to-date information. It should also be well-organized and easy to understand for the intended audience.

2. Are there any textbooks that are considered the "best" for learning physics?

There is no one textbook that is considered the best for learning physics, as different textbooks may work better for different learning styles. However, some popular choices among physicists and educators include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to understand a physics textbook?

While a strong math background can certainly be helpful in understanding physics, many textbooks are written in a way that assumes only basic math knowledge. As long as you are comfortable with algebra and basic trigonometry, you should be able to understand most introductory physics textbooks.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement a physics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a physics textbook. These can include video lectures, interactive simulations, practice problems, and even online forums for asking questions and getting help from others studying physics.

5. How can I make sure I am choosing the right textbook for my needs?

Before purchasing a textbook, it is always a good idea to read reviews and compare different options to see which one aligns best with your learning style and needs. You can also ask for recommendations from teachers or peers who have already taken the course you are studying. Additionally, many textbooks offer a preview or sample chapter online, so you can get a feel for the writing style and content before making a decision.