A tire sliding about a fixed point

In summary, the problem involves two tires separated by a few feet with a weighted beam attached on top of them, where the weight distribution is not even. One tire is fixed while the other can slide 90 degrees. The question is how to determine the force required to slide the second tire to this angle or distance. To solve this, the normal force, frictional force, and gravitational force must be considered. The normal force can be found by taking moments, and from there the friction force and work done can be calculated. The wind force must be greater than the friction force to push the beam and tires, and the other tire may require extra force if it is also being forced to rotate on the spot.
Zauce

Homework Statement

There are two tires separated by a few feet, with a weighted beam attached on top of them. The beam's weight isn't distributed evenly. One of the tires is a fixed point. The other tire slides (doesn't roll) 90 degrees. How do you determine the force required to slide the tire all the way to this angle (or distance)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Zauce! :smile:

(is that all the information … no numbers?)
Zauce said:
There are two tires separated by a few feet, with a weighted beam attached on top of them. The beam's weight isn't distributed evenly. One of the tires is a fixed point. The other tire slides (doesn't roll) 90 degrees. How do you determine the force required to slide the tire all the way to this angle (or distance)?

What do you think? How many forces are involved? :smile:

That's not all the numbers. I know the applied force on top of each tire and the coefficient of friction between rubber and asphalt, and the center of gravity of the beam. It's been a couple of years since I've taken Dynamics, so I'm having a tough time coming up with which equation to use. I know I need the normal force, frictional force, gravitational force. Can you help me with this?

Zauce said:
I know I need the normal force, frictional force, gravitational force.

ok, once you know the normal force, that tells you the friction force, and that tells you the work done.

So find the normal force first … how can you do that? :smile:

The normal force would just be mass x gravity, I think. Correct?

Nooo … what about the weight of the beam?

The normal force would equal m x g + weight of beam??

Don't forget that the beam is supported at two points …

so you'll have to take moments to find how much of its weight is supported at each tyre. :wink:

Ok, I've taken the moment to find the weight of the beam at each tire location. So, I should have all the numbers to find the normal forces at both points. Whats the next step?

(just got up :zzz: … )
Zauce said:
Ok, I've taken the moment to find the weight of the beam at each tire location. So, I should have all the numbers to find the normal forces at both points. Whats the next step?

Can you clarify the original question …

Is the asphalt (that the tyre is on) horizontal? Is the beam fixed to a fixed point on the tyre, so that the beam increases in slope as the tyre turns?

Does the beam start horizontal, and at the top of the tyre (because if it does, I don't see why the tyre should start sliding)?

Yes, the ashphalt is horizontal. The beam is attached to the top of each tire, and the back tire is a fixed point. I'm trying to figure out how much wind it took to blow the front tire 90 degrees. I drew up a couple of diagrams, and will attach both. The first one is a side view and I will post the view from the top in just a minute.

Attachments

• DSC02801.jpg
    DSC02801.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 378
Here is a view from above.

Attachments

• DSC02802.JPG
    DSC02802.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 394
Zauce said:

ok, from the normal force you can calculate the friction force, and from that you can calculate the work done. :smile:

After I find the normal force and friction force, would I just add both of them up? Would that be what I'm looking for to find the force required by the wind to push the beam the distance? Thanks a lot for the help.

Zauce said:
After I find the normal force and friction force, would I just add both of them up?

No!

The normal force is vertical. The wind is horizontal. The friction force is horizontal.

So … ? :smile:

So, the wind force needed to push the beam and tires would just have to be greater than the friction force.

Zauce said:
So, the wind force needed to push the beam and tires would just have to be greater than the friction force.

(just got up :zzz: …)

Yes, when the only opposing force is friction, the minimum force needed is just greater than the friction force. :smile:

But both tyres? You didn't say anything about them both moving.

Is the other tyre being forced to rotate "on the spot" also … because that will require extra force, won't it (if there's friction, and if the area of contact is not negligible)?

What exactly is the question? :confused:

1. What is the concept of a tire sliding about a fixed point?

The concept of a tire sliding about a fixed point refers to the movement of a tire around a fixed axis or point, without any translational motion. This means that the tire rotates around a fixed point without moving in any particular direction.

2. How is the motion of a tire sliding about a fixed point different from rolling motion?

Unlike rolling motion, where the tire moves in a particular direction while rotating, in a tire sliding about a fixed point, there is only rotational motion around a fixed point without any translational motion. In other words, the tire does not move from its original position in this type of motion.

3. What are some real-life examples of a tire sliding about a fixed point?

One common example of a tire sliding about a fixed point is a merry-go-round. In this case, the fixed point is the center of the merry-go-round, and the tire (or platform) rotates around it without moving in any direction. Another example is a spinning top, where the tip of the top acts as the fixed point and the top spins around it without moving from its original position.

4. What factors affect the motion of a tire sliding about a fixed point?

The motion of a tire sliding about a fixed point is affected by several factors, including the mass and size of the tire, the distance of the tire from the fixed point, and the force applied to the tire. These factors determine the speed and stability of the tire's rotation around the fixed point.

5. How is the concept of a tire sliding about a fixed point used in engineering and physics?

The concept of a tire sliding about a fixed point is used in engineering and physics to understand and analyze rotational motion. It is also applied in the design and functioning of various mechanical systems, such as gears and pulleys, where rotational motion is required without any translational motion.